Discuss Size of inverter to run freezer ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 240v freezer that is rated at 75w I want to run from my 12 v battery bank ( solar ) can anyone tell me what size watts inverter I will need to handle the surge on starting it up, and running it ?

And do basic no frills fridge compressors require any particular sine wave to run ?

not my field, but i'd estimate a 750W inverter to handle the start up surges, as these will be frequent.

It all comes down to the surge capacity of the invertor,
some have good surge ratings some have little or no surge rating.
I would try a 500w unit first, if that doesn't work try a 1kw unit.. But read the ratings carefully and look for one's with good surge capacity.

They will probably run OK on non-sinewave inverters but the compressor may be noisier and lack starting torque. This makes it important to check the re-start behaviour if it is stopped and then restarted with some head pressure still present. You don't want to find that the stall current trips the inverter to overload lockout.

If it has a mechanical defrost timer, the clock motors on those sometimes use a capacitive dropper that is waveform sensitive. Non-sinusoidal power might cause early failure of the capacitor or motor, which can leave the freezer stuck in defrost.

Reply to Size of inverter to run freezer ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm new here and looking at this True Sine Wave Power Inverter from AliExpress, but I have never seen any inverter without a transformer? How...
Replies
Views
Hello, So I purchased a Novopal 2000w/4000w(Peak) Pure Sine Wave Inverter DC 12V to 110V/120V. I purchased this so I can hook it up directly to...
Replies
Views
I am a retired Electrician and started looking at Solar Power, (Black Magic to me), after much reading of "How To", I decided to build myself a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. The owner of the business I work for along with myself have created a DIY inverter setup that is giving us some issues. We bought...
Replies
Views
Hello Forum! Yes I have an ice cream cart bike that is battery powered and yes I regret purchasing it! I have attached a generic picture of it...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock