Discuss Skinflint Seeks Free Advice on burnt-out LED Transformer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning.

The LED light above my bath doesn't work. I yanked all the stuff out the ceiling and found this.

upload_2018-9-7_0-57-45.png

So far, so good. But hark!

upload_2018-9-7_0-51-35.png

I have come to the conclusion that something is wrong with the transformer. Worst case: it may never transform again.

If I just buy another one with the same spec, is it going to do the same thing again? I don't really want to burn my house down, but also don't really want to pay* for professional advice.

Just for further context, here's some stuff that was written on the transformer (a bit curly from the heat, right enough):

upload_2018-9-7_1-24-30.png
upload_2018-9-7_1-28-33.png

Plan is to buy one of these, but why did the old one burn out? Is it standard for LED transformers to melt silently in the ceiling? Is there anything wrong with the setup shown?

Cheers to anyone spending the time to answer my stupid questions instead of having someone pay you to do it.

* Maybe my karma is running out, always asking questions and never giving anything back. Maybe somebody will one day deliberately cause me to electrocute myself through purposely erroneous advice. Until then, thanks everyone! My heroes.

upload_2018-9-7_0-51-13.png

upload_2018-9-7_1-29-37.png

Suitably rated gu10 would be the way to go. It will never transform again is a good line it gave me a laugh I might use it in the future lol

You do realise the OP thinks his light is LED?
Exactly. and the burning is because the "transformer" was sitting on top of the lamp.

It was never a transformer in the first place. It was a halogen light switch mode power supply.
Do you some sort of degree in pedantry?
The device connected says what it is
Screenshot 2018-09-07 14.29.32.png
it is an Electronic Transformer.
It transforms (ie it changes) the voltage on the primary, to the different voltage on the secondary.

It was never a transformer in the first place. It was a halogen light switch mode power supply.
where is it stated that it's for halogen lights. it could be for a train set. CHOO-CHOO.

Exactly. and the burning is because the "transformer" was sitting on top of the lamp.

Do you some sort of degree in pedantry?
The device connected says what it is
View attachment 44188
it is an Electronic Transformer.
It transforms (ie it changes) the voltage on the primary, to the different voltage on the secondary.

The label is a lie. There is no such thing as an electronic transformer. A transformer is a device that changes voltage or current by electromagnetic induction. It doesn't change the frequency either like those switch mode supplies.

The Collins dictionary definition of a transformer is

A transformer is a piece of electrical equipment which changes a voltage to a higher or lower voltage.

Which is what the box in the picture does.
Don’t try and say it has to be two windings and an iron core.

If you don’t agree you need complain to the manufacturers of these things. Most of them call them Electronic Transformers.
Or maybe you are such a Luddite that you haven’t caught up with what things are called these days.

PS There’s another idiot that constantly spouts the same drivel about this on another forum. Are you by any chance Winston1 in disguise?

You are stuck with the traditional meaning of the word transformer.
These days there are many different types, and the variants are determined by the word in front of the transformer word. Hence the description above “Electronic Transformer” tells us that the change ( in the OP’s case) from 230volts to 12volts is done by electronics rather than by electromagnetic means.

For instance, a piezoelectric transformer is a type of AC voltage multiplier. Unlike a conventional transformer, which uses magnetic coupling between input and output, the piezoelectric transformer uses acoustic coupling.
* by the way, the above definition comes not from the Collins Dictionary but your Wikipedia.

Don’t complain to me, if you disagree take your beef to the makers of millions of boxes that are labelled “Electronic Transformers”. That’s what they are, that’s what they do.

Have a nice day.

Reply to Skinflint Seeks Free Advice on burnt-out LED Transformer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net