Discuss SKY Customer Services in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jimmymac

I've been signed up with SKY for the past 11 months, I get my phone line, TV & broadband through them. When I took out the package they promised me the world and were very helpful but after about a month my broadband speeds slowed down to less than 1 Mbps. I emailed them and they said it's because 'your in a rural location and BT haven't upgraded the exchange yet' so I asked why it was faster at the beginning and they couldn't give me an answer. For the past 10 months I have emailed them monthly asking if there is a way I can try and speed it up myself but they have not even had the decency to reply. So now that I've had enough and i'm going back to BT they email, phone and text me daily trying to get me to stay.....it's ridiculous! Has anybody else had issues with them or am I an isolated case?

When I joined Sky I had a bit of difficulty setting up my connection. I called technical support who told me I had a dodgy network adaptor and should go out and buy a new computer.
About half an hour later I got it working myself.

I seem to remember something about leaving the modem on all the time so it can run checks and optimise the speed, but I assumed this was to make it faster, not slower.

old phone lines are not suited for modern internet... unless BT (they own the lines) will move their lazy backs and sort it out then not much you can do.

I was paying for 10MB and never used the net, it was a backup or if VM went down, which it never did. When I moved house recently I tested the line, and was getting 0.3MB - Yes, not even half of a MB per second.

Argued with them until the cows came home about the speed but they hung up eventually.

See if this tells you what speed your neighbours are getting :-

Broadband Speed Checker - Broadband speed in my area

If someone near you is getting really high speed then you may have to rule them out of any comparison cos they may be on cable or fibre not ADSL. But if everyone near you not on Sky is getting good speed and anyone on Sky is getting rubbish, then it could be a problem with Sky's setup at the exchange or elsewhere.

I've been signed up with SKY for the past 11 months, I get my phone line, TV & broadband through them. When I took out the package they promised me the world and were very helpful but after about a month my broadband speeds slowed down to less than 1 Mbps. I emailed them and they said it's because 'your in a rural location and BT haven't upgraded the exchange yet' so I asked why it was faster at the beginning and they couldn't give me an answer. For the past 10 months I have emailed them monthly asking if there is a way I can try and speed it up myself but they have not even had the decency to reply. So now that I've had enough and i'm going back to BT they email, phone and text me daily trying to get me to stay.....it's ridiculous! Has anybody else had issues with them or am I an isolated case?

No bonny lad ... you are not alone and as far as I can see all these companies are the same in promising the earth and not delivering when push comes to shove.

I use Virgin Mediocre for TV, Broadband and phone and have just recently chopped the package to the bone. It started at £30 something all in, but has been gradually creeping up. The last bill was over £70 which is ridiculous considering the quality of the TV programmes - repeats of repeats of American trash. I phoned them and demanded an explanation for the increases and they tried to fob me of by telling me it must be because I use the phone a lot so I told them to look at the bill and explain to me where all these expensive calls are and they couldn't because the phone is hardly used so they had no answer.

Next, I asked them why as a long established customer they were shoving leaflets through my door inviting me to become a new customer and offering me fantastic deals if I did. I told them that in my view it would make more sense to reward long-established loyal customers such as myself with these fancy deals and to do it the way they do is showing contempt for us.

Today, I resumed my ding-dong with Orange or EE as they seem to like being called.

They are another one who have been stealthily jacking their prices up over the years to the point where they tried to charge me double what the contract started out at for a "service" that won't allow me to use the phone anywhere near my own house - the signal is so bad.

So after a lengthy bowlocking session they agreed to drop the price to what it was in 2010 and asked if I was happy with that.

I said I wasn't because I had now decided that no matter what the price, they were still failing to provide the service that they were charging me for.

OK they said, we can sell you this "booster box" that you connect to your internet and it boosts the phone signal all around your house for £100+

I said, you will not sell me anything of the sort, you will GIVE it to me as I see no sense in me buying one of your products to correct a problem with another of your products. I should not be having to pay for something to fix your problems!!

They came back with an offer of 75% off the price of this thing and I told them I would be seeking the advice of our local Trading Standards and they said go ahead or words to that effect.

The next call I made was to John who is the Trading Standards bod here and that's how this week I am the proud owner of a booster box free of charge as a "gesture of goodwill".

They can dress it up in whatever fancy suit they like but to me it's what they should have handed over without any fuss in the first place.

AND .... the phone works extremely well now - a full 5 bars of signal and crystal clear reception every time. :)

OK they said, we can sell you this "booster box" that you connect to your internet and it boosts the phone signal all around your house for £100+
I had one of those from Vodafone; they call it a 'sure signal'. I think I paid £50 for it a couple of years ago. I got it home, plugged it in and got a full 3G signal, brilliant. Then I plugged my computer in so I could use my broadband connection for that as well, and the sure signal stopped working. I called technical support and they said it could be because of the cable connection I was using - they did say in the shop that they didn't know if it worked with Virgin Media broadband. I bought a separate router but it still didn't work. After a few calls I gave up with it and put it back in the box - I had a usable signal anyway.

Last year I moved house to somewhere with about 1 bar of signal by the window, so I tried getting this thing to work again, but with a Sky connection. Vodafone reckoned I would have to get Sky to open various ports on the router to use it, but Sky said they don't do that because it compromises security. I tried everything Vodafone's technical support suggested but it still didn't work, then they suggested it might be faulty and had the cheek to suggest I buy a new one for £100!
I sorted it out myself by switching to Tesco.

I had one of those from Vodafone; they call it a 'sure signal'. I think I paid £50 for it a couple of years ago. I got it home, plugged it in and got a full 3G signal, brilliant. Then I plugged my computer in so I could use my broadband connection for that as well, and the sure signal stopped working. I called technical support and they said it could be because of the cable connection I was using - they did say in the shop that they didn't know if it worked with Virgin Media broadband. I bought a separate router but it still didn't work. After a few calls I gave up with it and put it back in the box - I had a usable signal anyway.

Last year I moved house to somewhere with about 1 bar of signal by the window, so I tried getting this thing to work again, but with a Sky connection. Vodafone reckoned I would have to get Sky to open various ports on the router to use it, but Sky said they don't do that because it compromises security. I tried everything Vodafone's technical support suggested but it still didn't work, then they suggested it might be faulty and had the cheek to suggest I buy a new one for £100!
I sorted it out myself by switching to Tesco.

Good lad ..... every little helps. ;)

Thanks for the replies....I haven't be online for the last week because I couldn't connect to the internet! I'm back with BT now so things should improve

Reply to SKY Customer Services in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock