Discuss Sky Tv gone down and no signal at all in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Steviecuk

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi. I moved into a property last year and have sky here using their existing dish and wiring. I noticed a few months back that I was only receiving signal on one of the channels and after inspecting the cable that runs through the garage and then into the living room one of the cables had a nick in it. Wasn't too much of a problem as the other one was working and was planning on running new coaxial shotgun at some point.

Now whoever I am getting no signal from either. The only thing that has changed is that some pigeons had nested behind the dish which have now left and I removed the next. However still 0 signal. I then ran a single length of new coaxial from all four different ports on the sky dish to my sky box and none of them picked up a signal.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what might be the problem? I don't know much about sky dishes but does the bit on the end ever fail? (I'm guessing its called a receiver of something. The part that catches the signal bouncing off the dish.)

Thanks.

A straightfoward swap is easy enough, especially at this time of year when the plastic LNB holder is quite malleable. However, if you are changing make or style of LNB the focal point may be slightly different in which case a signal strength meter would be necessary.

On older dishes the LNB holder used to have to be inserted into the feedarm, the newer ones fit over the feedarm so make sure you get the correct holder

I'm gonna pick up a satellite tester tomorrow from screwfix. Where's the best place for LNBs? Ideally I want a shop so I can take the old one in to match.

SKy will wanna charge me an engineers fee.

Give Sky a call and tell them you'll cancel your subscription. They usually work quite hard to keep their customers. Managed to get my subscription down from about £80 a month to £6 when I tried to cancel after ditching Sky Sports. I'd be interested to know what their policy would be if your Sky box fails out of warranty and they try and charge for a replacement?

Never bothered with the Sky job...rather read a book,but they must be earning plenty as most "sports fans" i speak to,have hooky boxes and snide decoders,all fitted and fixed,by ex or current employees of said Co. :confused:

Reply to Sky Tv gone down and no signal at all in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock