Discuss Slowing down a ceiling fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AMJ

-
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Ceiling fan with an optional 3 speed remote control fitted (Shakespear / Bel Air Home). I would like to slow this down as the slowest speed is too high at night and we never use the high speed. The optional remote control instructions (same make) specifically say in big red letters that the ceiling fan 3 way original manual pull switch must be set to high before installing the remote system. Is this just to ensure you get the best speeds out of the new 3 speed remote or is there a safety issues using the optional remote system with the original manual pull switch set to medium? I'm expecting that doing this will give me 3 slower speeds.

The pull-switch probably works by switching capacitor(s) into circuit to reduce the motor voltage, while the electronic remote is more likely to use phase-angle control. If the speed reduction capacitors are in circuit via the pull switch when the remote tries to take control of the speed, incorrect operation or damage might result. E.g. the fan might not start reliably, might buzz or overheat, or the triac in the remote circuit might fail.

If both speed controls use capacitors, or the pull switch selects motor taps, with the pull cord at medium it will probably work at reduced speeds as you would hope. This would be likely if you can hear relays click in the remote unit when changing speed. If both ends use phase-angle control it probably won't work at all or might buzz and stutter and eventually go pop.

Thank you very much for your reply, the new remote (from the same company) defiantly uses capacitors, it actually has a label that says 2uF+3uF but I'm not sure about the fan itself so will check as you suggest, thanks again for your help.

IMO, follow the instructions to the letter. If it says set the 3 way on the fan to high and control using the remote, do it that way. It wont be designed to work from a lesser speed, it might damage something.

Reply to Slowing down a ceiling fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net