Discuss Sma sunny boy 2000hf stopped working in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, I have noticed that my solar system has not shown any reading since December 18th. I have tried turning the system off and on but still not working.
The system is a sma sunny boy 2000hf with 8 x hyundai 250w panels.
The sunny boy is about 6 years old and has never given me a problem until now.
Help required please.
I am based in Bridgend, South Wales.
Thanks in advance.
Martin.

Do you have a Sunny Beam monitor?

What does it show on the Screen of the Inverter?
I do have a sunny beam monitor. No pc output since December 18th.
Screen on inverter is showing power 0 w
Day 0kWh and total 14088 kwh . No lights on side where 3 lights are.
20181231_150852.jpg

Ok. Next you need to confirm the DC side to eliminate that. It may be open circuit on one of the connectors or an issue with one of the panels.

Due to the size of your system it will be single string e.g. all panels wired in series. You may have a DC isolator although some don't when using SMA as you can disconnect the DC.
If you are comfortable with this you can check there is voltage (tomorrow in the day light) or get your PV installer to check for you if they are still trading. Failing that, you may be able to employ the services of Sparkychick of this forum who could test it for you.

Isolate the AC side first, then the DC. Test across the terminals inside the DC isolator which are connected to the cables that come from the panels and see if you are getting voltage across them. If you don't have an isolator then unplug the MC4 connectors at inverter and meter them directly, they are shrouded connectors. Then report back here :)

Last edited:
Ok. Next you need to confirm the DC side to eliminate that. It may be open circuit on one of the connectors or an issue with one of the panels.

Due to the size of your system it will be single string e.g. all panels wired in series. You may have a DC isolator although some don't when using SMA as you can disconnect the DC.
If you are comfortable with this you can check there is voltage (tomorrow in the day light) or get your PV installer to check for you if they are still trading. Failing that, you may be able to employ the services of Sparkychick of this forum who could test it for you.

Isolate the AC side first, then the DC. Test across the terminals inside the DC isolator which are connected to the cables that come from the panels and see if you are getting voltage across them. If you don't have an isolator then unplug the MC4 connectors at inverter and meter them directly, they are shrouded connectors. Then report back here :)
Hi there. I have done what you said and I have 288 vdc across the terminals from the panels.
20190102_105554.jpg
20190102_105554.jpg

Good work, your panel string is ok too. You can't prove it is switching though the terminals as you can only switch it on with the cover on.
The black part at the bottom of the inverter is also a DC isolation point. Double check that this is pushed firmly up into the unit.
If no joy after that, then confirm the DC voltage is present at the MC4 plugs that plug into the inverter (this will confirm your DC rotary isolator is switching through).

I have also checked the cables going to the inverter and they have voltage. Also have removed and replaced the black unit at the bottom.
I have been recommended to replace the I inverter with a solax x1 mini 2.0
Have you heard if these and what would you recommend ?
Regards. Martin

I'd not heard on Solax before but just googled it. Inverters are a hell of a lot cheaper now than they were. Looks really good value. That comes with a 10 year warranty standard with a 20 year option for another 115 quid.
What make/model panels do you have and how many?

Growatt are not bad budget inverters with 10 year warranty if you need a new inverter. If you are looking at changing the inverter yourself then you will need a pair of MC4 connectors as the ones connected to the sunny boy will be sunclix connectors.

Reply to Sma sunny boy 2000hf stopped working in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net