Discuss Small fuse box - problem? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Arran

Hi all

A house I’m looking at buying (3 bed semi 1930s build) has a smaller fuse box than I’m used to seeing with just a master switch and three additional switches for sockets, lights and cooker.

Is this a problem? What about if I want to run power to an outside building? Will this small fuse box make this more difficult?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Photos uploaded.

Thanks

BD2C68B9-A031-4216-A387-23998F790C0F.jpeg

3AA096C7-531B-4705-B509-67B8A155F3EE.jpeg

0D817130-A4AB-477F-ACFE-57F71173555B.jpeg

876336D2-4634-4A2A-8579-9C8E4B602CD5.jpeg

Could be all sockets in the house on one MCB the same with the lights, as mentioned above get an Electrician in to confirm.

Is the house a semi or a bungalow?

As above far too many cables for 3 mcbs my guess is 3 or 4 light circuits, 2 socket circuits, shower and immersion heater, worth getting a spark to do an eicr before you buy the place, the board looks fairly new but somthing is telling me its a cowboy install.

I'm more or less with Flanders.

My guess is 2x socket RFCs, 1x immersion (possibly repurposed now), 1x cooker, up to 3x lighting, and 1x earth bonding.

So I'd expect up to 7 circuits to be in use from the cables.

I'm more or less with Flanders.

My guess is 2x socket RFCs, 1x immersion (possibly repurposed now), 1x cooker, up to 3x lighting, and 1x earth bonding. Yes well spoted I see the earth bond now,

So I'd expect up to 7 circuits to be in use from the cables.

I wouldnt be surprised if a few of them cables are now out of service. maybe the immersion has been taken out for a combi boiler, cooker removed for gas or aga style stove, as that metal plate on chimney next to CU is for a stove. either way opening the lid could be opening the proverbial can of worms. I checked the address on that metal plate in image with the local building control site and nothing has been notified, so clearly not under part p stuff since 2008.

QUOTE - [ What about if I want to run power to an outside building? Will this small fuse box make this more difficult? ].

1 - What about if I want to run power to an outside building?

ANSWER -The electrical capacity looks adequate to power an outside building, so long as the power requirements are not high.

2 - Will this small fuse box make this more difficult?
ANSWER - There appears to be physical space for extra breakers, and the incoming cables look big enough.

I would get a good electrician in to check it out,
but I would say chances are good !
Let us know how you go ?

If I was buying this property, along with a new bathroom & kitchen, I'd be factoring in a rewire or partial rewire, ohhh and a new larger 'fuse box'.

Reply to Small fuse box - problem? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net