Discuss Smallest possible cable for a 4w LED load. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All, This is a bit niche but i've been asked to refurb an antique lamp to dimmable led and i'm after a very tiny cable that will take 230v but only run a single 4W LED. There are 5 of these on the lamp that come back to a connector then off in 0.75 flex.

Also after an inline dimmer for the whole thing....

o_O

Thanks

Are you sure the LED is dimmable?
4W at 230V is less than 0.02 A so its not the current that will be the issue. But you need to ensure its insulation is safe for 230V and its robust enough for the intend use.

Hi - just been thinking about thin cables, ADS and the 6A MCB. There will be a limit to how thin the conductor can be for ADS to work without damage to the wiring if a fault occurred. From the Wylex data sheet to hand (for the let thru I2t) and the adiabatic eqn (k=143 from Table 54.2) then a 0.5mm copper conductor looks ok for PSSC of up to 2.5KA which would cover most situations. Otherwise we might need the dreaded 3A fan fuse :)

From the OP's reference to an inline dimmer I infer this is a portable appliance - please can you confirm? In this case, you might be in hot water with 0.5mm² internally and 0.75 to the plug, as the ACOP suggests a 13A fuse would be acceptable for the flex, but the 0.5 would not be protected. Perhaps it would be permissible to attach a label stating that a 3A fuse is required? It wouldn't wash on a new appliance because it would not be permissible in EU.

You might hide a fuseholder inside where the junction is, but many inline dimmers have a fuse, so if this is permanently attached to the fitting this might well be sufficient to protect the smaller internal cables.

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the confusion caused by my poor description. Please see photo, it is a thing of rare and terrifying ugliness...

It currently has a round pin 2A plug so was planning to put it on a 2A fuse on a normal plug but with 5 x 4W LED it could go lower still. I will supply a box of fuses with it for avoidance of confustion should it blow. It's for a family friend with no electrical knowledge so i suspect she'd call me rather than try to change it anyway.

Smallest possible cable for a 4w LED load. 20161209_100829 - EletriciansForums.net

Well I was interested because I can't see how you will provide it.

Cable tie is not appropriate one off job or not, the fitting is not designed for a trailing cord.

OK so like I said it's a bit niche the back story is that it's a free standing victorian candle lamp that been previously converted to electric.... so I'm told... it's been in the family years and they want to update it.

If anyone wants to tell me that it's not genuine victorian etc I'm not interested.

It will be going in a windowsill behind some furniture and away from fiddling. the likelihood is that it's probably only going to be used a handful of times per year. it will be plugged into a socket via a fused plug and will be 30mA rcd protected.

I know I am harping on here but I cannot see a method for doing that in a compliant manner whether it is used once, twice a year or whether an rcd is involved.

Small point but its 1a total load. And LED have high draw current. And why dont you just use the existing cable as a matter of interest?
Eh? Neglecting power factor, it's less than 0.02A per lamp. I guess the new wire (if required) will be partly on the outside of the fitting and accessible, so having the required insulation properties and robustness will be the defining factors.

Reply to Smallest possible cable for a 4w LED load. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock