Discuss Smar Light Switch Question (Yet another one) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been struggling with this for a while, so thought where better to ask than here?

So the gist is, I have a 3 gang light switch at home that I'm looking to replace with a smart light switch. The switch consists of 1 gang to control the living room light (as well as another switch that works in parallel, two way?) another gang that controls the hallway lights (also shared with another switch at the end of the hallway, two way?) and the third gang controls the two plugs on the floor that I have and it's the only switch for them.

These are the connections to the regular light switch currently installed.

light_switch_4.JPG
light_switch_3.JPG

These are the connections on the new wifi switch.
light_switch_1.JPG

light_switch_2.jpg

Ofcourse the question would be, what goes where? I get the idea behind having L1 and L2 and common for each gang in order to connect the other switch in series with this. My problem is with the L and N that are on the left here, I'm guessing these are separate power supply needed for the switch?

Not going to work is it as some of those circuits are two way switched?

1. you need a neutral at the new switch.
2. some extensive rewiring to achieve 2 way switching.

edit. appears that you do have a neutral.

Last edited:
1. you need a neutral at the new switch.
2. some extensive rewiring to achieve 2 way switching.
Possible there is a neutral at the block connector but yes it is no straight forward swap with the two way.

Hi - Without some test instruments this will likely be beyond you, sorry. Someone here may be able to pop by and assist if you want (where are you approx?). At least you've got a pic of how it should look :) .

just wondering..... if it's a smart switch, maybe the 2 way is not necessary.

Possibly just need to find the correct lines and sort the switches the other end.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! :)

First off, I am not a licensed electrician, but I do have some sort of knowledge in it. (I take all precautions of course)

Second, I live in Clapham Junction, If anyone is around the area and wants to help out with this then I owe them a beer afterwards :)

Third, I don't really need the two way since it's going to be controlled via voice and app, so no need for another physical switch. Problem is, from what I see on the smart switch that I have, I would need to supply a live and neutral to the switch separate from everything to give it the power, then connect the common and live for each gang to their respective places.

Also, the smart switch does show common and L1 and L2, doesn't that mean that it works two way? Since this is a two gang only and it has 4 terminals? Or am I completely lost here?

with that switch, you feed a L and N into the L and N terminals. then you have 4 switch L's that's up to 4 different loads. ) L 1 to lights 1. L2 to lights 2 etc. some rejigging at the other 2 way switches may be required.

We are all also assuming that the feed in and out of your switch (that controls 2x plugs) is on the same circuit as your hallway and lounge lights.

Reply to Smar Light Switch Question (Yet another one) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net