Discuss Smart Home / Lighting Controls options in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, just curious as to know what are the preferred brands to use for smart home lighting packages. I use lutron and wattstopper in my job, these are both great but pretty pricy. but for residential re-wires, what brand can you recommend, good ones not junk. Thanks.

Ne
Hi all, just curious as to know what are the preferred brands to use for smart home lighting packages. I use lutron and wattstopper in my job, these are both great but pretty pricy. but for residential re-wires, what brand can you recommend, good ones not junk. Thanks.

Never installed it but heard good things about Loxone and C-bus for residential.

The options available in the US market may be different to what's available in the UK.

No worries. I'm sure there will be some useful info for you.

Im not sure about wots hot but installed Fibaro (z-wave)although the customer set up the rest being a decent tech-head. Looked into the new lightwave stuff, although the switches looked nice they were not backwards compatible or flexible as the Fibaro set up.

on the Loxone course in reading this week funny enough!
mostly config based course- although we are apprently touching wiring tomorrow (last day of 4)
- the config/ laptop side of thing is amazing but very confussing for someone without a pretty good pc/logic brain (me!)

on the Loxone course in reading this week funny enough!
mostly config based course- although we are apprently touching wiring tomorrow (last day of 4)
- the config/ laptop side of thing is amazing but very confussing for someone without a pretty good pc/logic brain (me!)
How you getting on with it ? I wired a few Loxone houses, my old boss did the course a few years ago,he took sweet F all away from it, and I had to learn off YouTube.
Whenever I asked him he used to say "the course went a bit quick really", he sat next to a guy called Tom, who had just joined Loxone :) (he's probably taking your class) lol.

Anyway, although I'm fairly confident with lighting controllers and other function blocks, I'm intressed if the course takes you through IP commands, as these's are the areas that I have not been able to work out.

I’m the sparky installing all the cabling,the software etc looks the business,looking forward to the completion,seeing how things work.

How you getting on with it ? I wired a few Loxone houses, my old boss did the course a few years ago,he took sweet F all away from it, and I had to learn off YouTube.
Whenever I asked him he used to say "the course went a bit quick really", he sat next to a guy called Tom, who had just joined Loxone :) (he's probably taking your class) lol.

Anyway, although I'm fairly confident with lighting controllers and other function blocks, I'm intressed if the course takes you through IP commands, as these's are the areas that I have not been able to work out.
the config seems mind boggling enough to want to sub that bit out- and the course doesnt really touch wiring too much but it sounds like that bit is easy enough.... do you tend to install their 24v tree spots (and less extentions) or do you go for fire rated mains gu10s?

the config seems mind boggling enough to want to sub that bit out- and the course doesnt really touch wiring too much but it sounds like that bit is easy enough.... do you tend to install their 24v tree spots (and less extentions) or do you go for fire rated mains gu10s?

I have never used the Loxone spots, the big installs I did were in 2013 so the tree range wasn't around then.
I did visit the Reading office and I saw their own LED 24v lights.
In my opinion it's all about cost.
Fair enough you have 4 channels on a rgbw dimmer you can split but with the 24v lights your going to need a another separate power supply and each light costs more than a standard Gu10..

Or you buy a dimmer extension which costs more but no need for a PSU and the lights are considerably cheaper.

On another note if your installing over 5 mtrs of their LED strip it's worth being aware that they 10amp PSUs are huge..

The tree range has definitely made loxone better though, and it definitely saves time. The house I did included running a cat5 to every switch.. took 2 days to second fix..

Reply to Smart Home / Lighting Controls options in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock