Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Smart Home / Lighting Controls options in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jason Philip

Jason Philip EF Member

Hi all, just curious as to know what are the preferred brands to use for smart home lighting packages. I use lutron and wattstopper in my job, these are both great but pretty pricy. but for residential re-wires, what brand can you recommend, good ones not junk. Thanks.

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I've been installing lots of RAKO on higher end jobs as of late.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moaz

Moaz Active EF Member

Ne
    Never installed it but heard good things about Loxone and C-bus for residential.

4. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

The options available in the US market may be different to what's available in the UK.

5. Jason Philip

Jason Philip EF Member

I'm interested in what's hot in UK, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

No worries. I'm sure there will be some useful info for you.

7. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

I'm pretty hot.... so the girls tell me.......... Ok, they don't... I'm going now...:sob::sob::sob:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. sparksfly

sparksfly Regular EF Member

Im not sure about wots hot but installed Fibaro (z-wave)although the customer set up the rest being a decent tech-head. Looked into the new lightwave stuff, although the switches looked nice they were not backwards compatible or flexible as the Fibaro set up.

9. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

Just installing loxone,pricey but the top notch.

10. J.C.E

J.C.E Electrician's Arms

on the Loxone course in reading this week funny enough!
    mostly config based course- although we are apprently touching wiring tomorrow (last day of 4)
    - the config/ laptop side of thing is amazing but very confussing for someone without a pretty good pc/logic brain (me!)

11. AJshep

AJshep Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Andrew Shepherd Electrics
    How you getting on with it ? I wired a few Loxone houses, my old boss did the course a few years ago,he took sweet F all away from it, and I had to learn off YouTube.
    Whenever I asked him he used to say "the course went a bit quick really", he sat next to a guy called Tom, who had just joined Loxone :) (he's probably taking your class) lol.

Anyway, although I'm fairly confident with lighting controllers and other function blocks, I'm intressed if the course takes you through IP commands, as these's are the areas that I have not been able to work out.

12. cliffed

cliffed Regular EF Member

I’m the sparky installing all the cabling,the software etc looks the business,looking forward to the completion,seeing how things work.

13. J.C.E

J.C.E Electrician's Arms

the config seems mind boggling enough to want to sub that bit out- and the course doesnt really touch wiring too much but it sounds like that bit is easy enough.... do you tend to install their 24v tree spots (and less extentions) or do you go for fire rated mains gu10s?

14. AJshep

AJshep Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Andrew Shepherd Electrics
    I have never used the Loxone spots, the big installs I did were in 2013 so the tree range wasn't around then.
    I did visit the Reading office and I saw their own LED 24v lights.
    In my opinion it's all about cost.
    Fair enough you have 4 channels on a rgbw dimmer you can split but with the 24v lights your going to need a another separate power supply and each light costs more than a standard Gu10..

Or you buy a dimmer extension which costs more but no need for a PSU and the lights are considerably cheaper.

On another note if your installing over 5 mtrs of their LED strip it's worth being aware that they 10amp PSUs are huge..

The tree range has definitely made loxone better though, and it definitely saves time. The house I did included running a cat5 to every switch.. took 2 days to second fix..

15. Jason Philip

Jason Philip EF Member

Job is a few months away, so I have plenty of bedtime reading to check out our options. Thanks for all the helpful responses.