Discuss Smart light switch installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

gmac

-
Reaction score
hi im currently looking in to smart lights for my alexa to control. My flat is about 6 years old and my current swich is a double that has two browns and two blues going in to separate bits of the switch with 2 earth wires connected at the back of the box. Can anyone tell me if the blues will be neutrals or is there a chance they are switched lives? Thanks

There’s plenty of smart bulbs available that work with Alexa. Most do require a hub of some kind for example Hive, but you don’t need to change any switches.

As above, take a photograph of the connections and post on here.
At least one of the blues has to be a switched live if it's a 2 gang switch.

Have you decided on which system? Some may work without a hub, but most need one.
If it has a hub, you can control lights etc remotely away from the house over internet via smartphone. No hub systems will only work within the house.

Smart switches normally need a neutral at the switch to give them power to operate. Your switch doesn’t have one.

It may be that the Sonoff doesn’t need one, but you’ll have to check.

Those blues should have been sleeved brown to identify them as live conductors

and those green/yellow snakes should be 2.0mm, and a bit longer to cover the bare copper. :(:(:(.

If both of the lights are on the same circuit (protective device) and you have access of the other end of the cable ie. at the light fitting it could be possible to alter the wiring to have a neutral at the switch.

Not sure one of them is actually connected anymore. The threads are totally stripped on the cover screws.
looks like it's been done by a wqet-pants. 3.5mm thread stripped, cpc's twisted ( like a plasterer's brain). typical new build. lowest price bodger gets the work.

If both of the lights are on the same circuit (protective device) and you have access of the other end of the cable ie. at the light fitting it could be possible to alter the wiring to have a neutral at the switch.

There are two lights in the room both with 3 blue 3 brown and 3 earth. None tapped for switch live. How would i go about altering it so i have a live at the switch? Thanks

hi im currently looking in to smart lights for my alexa to control. My flat is about 6 years old and my current swich is a double that has two browns and two blues going in to separate bits of the switch with 2 earth wires connected at the back of the box. Can anyone tell me if the blues will be neutrals or is there a chance they are switched lives? Thanks
Someone could definitely tell you if the
Lol neutral is what i meant sorry
There are two lights in the room both with 3 blue 3 brown and 3 earth. None tapped for switch live. How would i go about altering it so i have a live at the switch? Thanks
All you need to do to get the wiring altered is get an electrician in to do the job. No disrespect to you but there is no way you should even think about messing about with the lights or any other of your electrical installation. Just pay a professional it will be cheaper and easier in the long run

The simplest thing to do is to get something like Phillips hue lamps, just leave the switches turned on or bypassed and they are controlled via app or alexa etc

Reply to Smart light switch installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net