Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Smart lighting 3 core to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. adsmith

adsmith Active EF Member

In the coming weeks I will be re-wiring my home. For the lighting circuits i will be using 1.5mm cable. ideally I would like to run the feeds to and from each light switch so that there is a neutral at the switch for smart lighting. However to avoid more damage/decoration I will be using the existing conduits in the wall to each switch but they are not big enough for the extra cables (feed in and out) so my thought is to run a 3 core to each switch (Live, switched live and neutral) would this be satisfactory for the new regs? Also if I fail to even fit the 1.5mm 3 core in the conduit would it be wrong to run the switch cable in 1mm and the feed cables in 1.5mm?
    Cheers

2. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

No issues with any of above as long as you are competent to do so and have worked out current etc

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    best way is to 3 plate at the lights, drop a 1.0mm 3 core from each light to it's switch. that way you only have 1 cable in each switch drop tube and still have N at both light and switch. and why 1.5mm? 1.0mm is more than adequate unless you're fitting high wattage tungsten lights.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PEG

PEG Respected Member

^^^ You scousers....what are you like,for instantly bonding...:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. adsmith

adsmith Active EF Member

Spot on cheers for the quick reply lads. 3 plate at lights it is with 1mm drops. And yes your right with LEDs these days I suppose 1mm is adequate. I’ll do some workings out today. Cheers again

6. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

1.0mm was perfectly adequate before LEDs came along too, why do you think its not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    maybe he's still got some red/black 1.5mm he needs to use up.

• Like Like x 1