Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Smart lighting - help please? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Simon Weston

Simon Weston New EF Member

Hi, new to the forum. I’m very green with electrical issues so please go easy on me. I’ve bought a smart switch for some external lights, the idea being as I arrive home in my unlit rural village the external lights come on (you can use the IFTTT app to trigger the lights when your phone enters a certain geographic area). Anyway, there’s a porch light and two wall lights on the switch circuit. I’m ‘just’ changing the light switch over but appears the wiring required is different as the new switch needs power.

Images provided shows the current switch wiring plus the wiring diagram in the instructions. I know I need to include the neutral but completely confused as to how to wire the thing. Any advice gratefully accepted- hopefully my photos are good enough to assist! Happy to add more if not.

Thanks, Simon

D317F77B-292A-487B-B308-43F1CEA872EC.jpeg

2C4650EA-18B9-4411-A81B-70CF68A2F1A4.jpeg

78C0D3FD-31A8-48CF-BD2C-D56A59369DC3.jpeg

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Where do the black wires go, seems like a lot of wires for a simple one way switch.

3. Simon Weston

Hi, thanks for replying. the black wires are not connected to anything. I assume theres lots of wires as there’s 3 lights on the circuit?

4. westward10

That makes sense. Your new switch will function and you can switch each light individually. The ones at the block connector are neutrals so you need a link to the N terminal. The single brown goes to the L terminal and the other three spread across L1, L2 and L3 for individual switching.

5. Simon Weston

That’s great thank you. What’s the best way to link to the N terminal? Get some blue wire from the choc block terminal with the single grey in to my new switch?

6. westward10

Ideally I would replace the block connector with a Wago connector with a blue to the N terminal. But yes a blue to the N, the greys should be sleeved blue.

7. Simon Weston

Got it. Appreciate your help, thank you.

• Like Like x 1