Discuss Smart Lighting............. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I personally dont like Hue stuff. Im not a fan of battery operated switches and smart lamps.

The term "Smart" seems to be used by all these companys for pretty much for anything that can be controlled remotely or on your phone so i suppose everyone's idea of smart could be different.

Having said all this if you just want lights that you can control remotely then Aurora have a kit out think its call AOne.
They do remote relay modules and dimmers modules as well as the usual battery operated switches. They also have, or are working on a switch which has kinda piezo installed so you can recharge it with a few presses, and i believe they are working on a switch that can just replace your wall switch.

The hub they sell is kinda basic but all your settings once stored are saved on the hub (so it doesnt require the internet to work once setup) the system is a Zigbee system so if you want to add more rules you could swap the Aurora hub out and replace it with a Samsung Smarthings hub, if you want your lights to switch off if you phone leaves the house, or other fancy stuff like IP commands etc. The trouble with samsung smarthings is its cloud based :(

The problem I have, is this one pendant has been wired from the switch, so I just have the one cable there. I want to have three sets of different lighting (eek sound like a DIY'er).

The problem I have, is this one pendant has been wired from the switch, so I just have the one cable there. I want to have three sets of different lighting (eek sound like a DIY'er).

So with the above method you woukd link the switch. Then install 3 relay or dimmer modules, you would then replace the wall switch with their remote jobbie ( trouble is looks a bit cheap at the moment)

Rako do the same sort of thing but with all these systems you have to buy the hub, relays, then switches/dimmers, then quite often your need to by a LED scrubber.

The cost adds up it quite often is not cost effective, as your paying for a lot of features you dont need.

From what ive read the best system for what you want to achieve is probably Lightwave RF as the switches dont look to bad.
They do remote relays and dimmers and
the older 1st Generation stuff is fairly cheap now and wholesalers usually get a good price on it.
I believe the 1 generation lightwave stuff doesnt update its status on the app...
So if you switch a light on via a wall switch the app doesnt reconize the light has been turned on, so switch on the app is kinda reversed.

Ive also heard this system is fairly good value for money.
Home Automation | Energy Saving Products | Energenie - https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/category/Home-Automation

Last edited:
So with the above method you woukd link the switch. Then install 3 relay or dimmer modules, you would then replace the wall switch with their remote jobbie ( trouble is looks a bit cheap at the moment)

Rako do the same sort of thing but with all these systems you have to buy the hub, relays, then switches/dimmers, then quite often your need to by a LED scrubber.

The cost adds up it quite often is not cost effective, as your paying for a lot of features you dont need.

From what ive read the best system for what you want to achieve is probably Lightwave RF as the switches dont look to bad.
They do remote relays and dimmers and
the older 1st Generation stuff is fairly cheap now and wholesalers usually get a good price on it.
I believe the 1 generation lightwave stuff doesnt update its status on the app...
So if you switch a light on via a wall switch the app doesnt reconize the light has been turned on, so switch on the app is kinda reversed.

Ive also heard this system is fairly good value for money.
Home Automation | Energy Saving Products | Energenie - https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/category/Home-Automation

Cheers, I was just about to purchase the Hue stuff. I'll have a gander.

We fitted some Click Scholemore dimmable wireless switches worked well easy to install and set up, just would need permanent L & N at lights.

Got lightwaveRF in my living/dining room. When we decorated it the wife did not want lights in the middle of ceiling,just floor standing lights in the living room bit, the two wall lights near the dining table and two down lights above some shelves, the two wall lights were on a Separate switch behind the door and she wanted it moved to the living room switch but I was not allowed to do any Chasing out?
4 lightwave 13amp sockets, two inline relays, 1 mood light switch, some Wagos, single blacking plate and half a day got it all sorted, the only hard bit was taking 2 floor bords up to fit the inlins, did not go for the app as the mood switch is all we need, the best thing about this is when she moves a floor lamp all have to do is swop the socket and as all wiring is still in place if we move or she want ceiling lights it will be easy to put it back to how it was.
Total cost was about £180

I must be smart coz when it's dark I switch the lights on and when I don't need the light I switch it off, very smart don't you think?

Got lightwaveRF in my living/dining room. When we decorated it the wife did not want lights in the middle of ceiling,just floor standing lights in the living room bit, the two wall lights near the dining table and two down lights above some shelves, the two wall lights were on a Separate switch behind the door and she wanted it moved to the living room switch but I was not allowed to do any Chasing out?
4 lightwave 13amp sockets, two inline relays, 1 mood light switch, some Wagos, single blacking plate and half a day got it all sorted, the only hard bit was taking 2 floor bords up to fit the inlins, did not go for the app as the mood switch is all we need, the best thing about this is when she moves a floor lamp all have to do is swop the socket and as all wiring is still in place if we move or she want ceiling lights it will be easy to put it back to how it was.
Total cost was about £180

Haven't worked out the lightwave products yet, every link seems to end up you having to contact them?

I must be smart coz when it's dark I switch the lights on and when I don't need the light I switch it off, very smart don't you think?
It's just like the days when you had to get out of your armchair to switch over tv channels. Just think you could get your phone out to turn on the lights.

Middy I'm so sorry, I was brought up with switches that worked with a click that indicate either on or off, all this smart stuff is beyond me, to old to learn new stuff Mate, no offence intended.

Middy I'm so sorry, I was brought up with switches that worked with a click that indicate either on or off, all this smart stuff is beyond me, to old to learn new stuff Mate, no offence intended.
Be no good down our street as soon a BT or one of the other utilities does something it takes out the telephone line and internet.

Be no good down our street as soon a BT or one of the other utilities does something it takes out the telephone line and internet.

Cheers. I was looking at that stuff, before I started considering the Philips stuff. Philips does seem a little less complicated to install, but their GU10's ain't that bright (lumens).

Reply to Smart Lighting............. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock