Discuss Smart Lighting............. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well I went down the Philips Hue route, its not friggin cheap. In fact, it would of been cheaper to send her indoors away on weeks holiday, had the ceiling down, wired up what I wanted, plastered & painted. Job done. But there ya go.

Anyhow got starter packs from Currys, stuff from Argos & Screwfix. Downloaded the app, so working on working that out. When I went into Currys, the bloke there flogged me an Echo Dot for £15. So currently shouting at this bird called Alexa (hence my post elsewhere :D).

Now all you need is the Samsung smarthings hub. Then you can make "rules" so that the lights change colour and react to events. Alexa will chat to you if you set up smartthings with the various community addons ect ect. Some lights come on if it is dusk and they sense presence ect others change colour to warn of rain ect....All completely over the top and not at all required but it's fun, and I like it lol. Then you can link up your smart lights to your smart heating to your smart kettle ect ect It's all good fun and pretty effective at opening the wallet for the next gadget lol.

I got the smart lights bug when we bought our place after renting for ages. I tend to prefer LIFX lights to Phillips as I've got great wifi coverage and they don't need their own hub, but you pays your money and you takes your choice on that, to some extent. I've also got a Smartthings hub, which is great, especially for motion/window sensors and smart sockets, although every platform has its own issues and drawbacks.

The only real problem is trying to come up with a sensible replacement for a normal light switch. I've ended up running my own python server and building out some two-way retractive switches with arduino boards in the back that tell the light to turn on, off, dim, brighten. You don't appreciate the simple functionality of an on/off switch until it doesn't work because the circuit's "on" but the bulb is "off"!

I've got a mate who's doing similar with Phillips, so it's possible whichever you choose, it's just not easy!

Nearly replaced every light in the house now. Rewired the top floor switches to have neutral at the switch, bottom floor is trickier as I'd rather not lift all the boards. Might require some creative thinking.

I looked at Lightwave, but I don't like the fact that there's no feedback from the switch to let you know what the current state is. I've got a couple of Energenie mi-home sockets around the place, which have a similar issue, but I only use them for things where it doesn't really matter if they fail to turn on occasionally - fairy lights for the Christmas tree, that sort of thing!

@Jymbob as far as I know lightwave RF version 2 does feedback the state of the light but its double the price, and i believe you can run into issues when you have both version 1 & 2 on the same hub.

I agree with the switching issue it puts me off putting one of these kits in my house. Who wants to rip a switch out and replace it with a battery operated one.
I did a wholesaler trainning course on the Aurora one ( which uses Zigbee) they are apparently working on a retractive switch that can be used as a dimmer and doesn't require a neutral.
As its Zigbee it can be used with Samsung smarthing hub, or any other compatable Zigbee hub.

Thats why for me at the moment I would rather install a premium system like Loxone, as each of these other systems has flaws which i consider quite major.

You seem pretty handy with python and coding, you thought about trying Openhab out ?

I looked at openhab, but I try to keep the custom code and hardware to a minimum, otherwise you quickly get into a situation where no-one else has a chance of understanding your system if you're away. I went for Smartthings as it supports Zigbee and Zwave out of the box, so for most of the stuff if something goes wrong it's a quick case of power cycling the hub and the wifi and you're back in business.

I also aim for everything to pass the Babysitter test: if we go out and someone else wants to go into the living room, switch on the TV to watch a movie, can they manage it? How long do I have to take explaining it before I can leave?

I find an awful lot of the current voice-based stuff is really only designed for one user. The same is true for things that can only be controlled once you're logged in to an app.

Have a work in progress building where lights are being brought on, one by one. Its KNX and DMX so i needed a quick solution to enable builder or anybody to turn on the lights so they can see what they are doing.... So have programmed it with a £90 Echo , all you say is "Lights On" and the whole lot comes on, and the builder can shout too Alexa from the ground floor, who needs switches,, lol
I am just in the process of working out the security implications of giving Alexa too much control as she could set off the fire alarm, burgler alarm, open the doors, gate, blinds etc if i want her to....

as long as my legs work , i'll stick with a bog standard light switch. when the time comes when i can no longer be arsed getting up, a snooker cue will do the job.

Reply to Smart Lighting............. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net