Discuss Smart meter benefits/downfalls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts?

I have an appointment with British gas to install a smart meter. I like the idea accurate readings can be taken from the meter which may help us control usage

Just be aware that Smart Meters are nearly all bespoke to the supplier - so when you want to change your supplier, you will have to change your meters.

I like the good old fashioned "dumb" meters.

We are with First Utility - I take a reading from our gas and lecky meters on the last day of the month and enter it on our account - nice and easy.

As for controlling usage - Smart meters won't do that ...

mine wants to have me microchipped. i said sod off.big chips done in beef dripping.

There was a story round this way recently where some numpty fitted a meter with the wrong polarity, he got his tails mixed up when putting them in new meter... suffice to say the property owner wasnt pleased and only knew because the electrician was coming round to do the electrical work for the refurb, the meter fitter was chatting to homeowner, apparently the bloke who fitted meter used to be a secondary school teacher but didnt like it, so had a career change... and became a meter fitter - it pays better!
Personally I would run a mile from smart meters, they seem to cause more trouble than they are worth.

What's everyone's thoughts?

I have an appointment with British gas to install a smart meter. I like the idea accurate readings can be taken from the meter which may help us control usage

You are short of only one component,to complete the holy trinity of pain and misery...

Imagine you have ordered a spiky-suppository off Harold Shipman...and Gary Glitter turns up,to fit it...and you are half-way to understanding the precipice,on which you teeter...:)

SMETS2 is out this year,completely interchangeable with all suppliers.

...but not those with RHT provision...and presumably,these will have to replace the "smart" meters just fitted...all to assist "information sharing companies" (BG's description)...
What a carry-on :(

Has anybody come across the smart meters with the in built single pole isolator, i am told you can turn the screw to isolate. the screw sort of comes out with a spring behind it. I have been told about these meters but yet to actually look out for them. supposed to make it un-necessary to pull fuse. from what i have learned some have the isolator screw behind a little flap, others its just a little notch on front you can turn.
Can anybody enlighten me with more info?

Just be aware that Smart Meters are nearly all bespoke to the supplier - so when you want to change your supplier, you will have to change your meters.

I like the good old fashioned "dumb" meters.

We are with First Utility - I take a reading from our gas and lecky meters on the last day of the month and enter it on our account - nice and easy.

As for controlling usage - Smart meters won't do that ...
The generation 2 Smart meters are supposed to be able to switch between suppliers now according to Martin Lewis on his programme.

I had both my gas and electrical smart meters removed. They had been installed by another utility before I moved into my current property. No charge to do so and now thankfully free of cellphone and Bluetooth emissions as well.

Has anybody come across the smart meters with the in built single pole isolator, i am told you can turn the screw to isolate. the screw sort of comes out with a spring behind it. I have been told about these meters but yet to actually look out for them. supposed to make it un-necessary to pull fuse. from what i have learned some have the isolator screw behind a little flap, others its just a little notch on front you can turn.
Can anybody enlighten me with more info?

They are fairly standard round here. Unscrew a cover for a small quarter turn isolator. It's labelled for use by electrical contractor only.

And the other one the isolator is a small one on the front of the meter.

Really useful IMHO.

Reply to Smart meter benefits/downfalls in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net