Discuss Smart meter install assessment failed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sh500

Hello all,

I had a smart meter install date today (both utilities) with npower as the provider.

The engineer, on a quick inspection of the existing setup said he could not continue as the existing 'tails' coming from the CU have had their outer grey sheath stripped too far back.

Is it part of regulation that on a double insulated cable, the outer sheath cannot be 'exposed' at all? The tails have been there before I moved in. I can see the ends have been stripped back to identify the polarity.

I have attached a picture.

Thanks in advance

Smart meter install assessment failed. 20170717_113818 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a internal meter rather than in a meter box outside.
I agree in that the tails should be double insulated entering the enclosure (Henley block shown).
Seems their company protocol is to knock it back if tails are found like this.

I suspect they have a check list to follow and if anything is untoward then walk away. They were probably just following a prescribed method of work.

It's the consumers tails so he may not be able to touch them or doesn't want the responsibility incase something happened and he had touched them.
It's not that uncommon

So he ended by saying I would have to have an electrician to run a new cable (at my cost).

What would the average cost (London) of having this done? I'd imagine minimum rate x1?

So he ended by saying I would have to have an electrician to run a new cable (at my cost).

What would the average cost (London) of having this done? I'd imagine minimum rate x1?
By the look of it just needs re-terminated properly rather than new cables.
Hard to say without seeing the whole picture

Have you got a picture showing more of the area, mainly the suppliers head and meter etc?

The left side can be reconnected but the right side will probably need replacing and you may as well do both. Less than an hours work and no more than £10 to £15 parts.

As this engineer was sent on behalf of npower, I have a slim chance of them doing it. I had an online chat with one of their reps. They said, 'if that's what the engineer said, then that would be the case'.

As smart meters aren't (yet) compulsory, I can't argue out of pocket expenses (!)

Reply to Smart meter install assessment failed. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock