• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Smart meters- anyone had problems? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone had any problems with installations with a smart meter, after removing the (unsealed) DNO fuse & then reinstating the supply i.e. Do they throw a wobbly or just continue to work as normal?
I appreciate that they can issue a supply failure signal to the MOP, but anything else?
Cheers.

If you are talking about EDMI they have a cut-off in them if you remove power. That is the HH meters. They are a clever piece of kit. This is an anti-tamper device, I had the same problem and a steep learning curve about meters. The energy provider was most reluctant to come and assist so got the DNO and they performed a meter bypass.

Smart meters- anyone had problems? IMG_3438.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

When Morris Utility Services fitted a new one at my flat recently on behalf of eon, i asked him a few questions about these things.
He said they would not necessarily know that the fuse has been pulled as different electrical companies have different it systems monitoring the network if at all.
In my case my meter is different to everybody else's as i recently switched supply so have the newest version, so they would also have nothing to compare to in the building apart from mine. I have a isolator so wouldnt need to pull fuse anyway.
That said they can monitor usage remotely which is the purpose and can if they bother to set up the systems for it, isolate your supply in event of non payment and change your per kwh price so you get accurate readings/bill info on the smart display. A hackers dream if they work out the codes/tones... to dial in to them.
In your case if you pull fuse (not that i condone it of course) then depends how long you have it out. personally i would have everything set up with new tails and isolator ready to connect straight up then fuse back in. if done well its matter of minutes. they might put it down to bad signal as they run off gsm phone networks... by the time they bother to contact the meter and maybe ring to check your supply is okay then it would all be back in... believing something has been tampered with and proving who tampered with it are 2 different things.

The simplest solution with these "customer benefit" con machines is to not have one

If I find one installed on a job,I will always have the option of installing a isolator or maybe just a service connector block without disturbing the smart Alec

I suppose I will be leaving the smart meter to carry on doing its smart things un interrupted ?

edit
Vortigern ( sorry Gavin)I am impressed with that direct connection
How on earth did you manage to get them to do that?
Was a lack of supply a health issue ?

Last edited:
How on earth did you manage to get them to do that
I know, quite miraculous really. The meter company were entirely disinterested in coming out and it was because the meter had switched off. This was a business with no power. The guy from the DNO was sterling. He took offence at the attitude of the energy supplier when he spoke to them as he got the same brush off as me. So he asked his boss if he could bypass and boss said yes. The DNO guy said "We will be charging them a lot for this" a wonderful result for the business and the energy supplier who deserve the highest possible bill! British Gas of course (the supplier) Guess I am just lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
And by the way! Your supplier must supply you with a STARK account when fitting a smart meter upon request. This allows you to access the meter on-line and get all the info from it. Morrisons must allow this to happen. I have a guy who is a meter expert on tap so he told me this which helped enormously with a commercial client who had to give their maximum supply demand. We will have to be on our toes come April 2018 as penalty charges are coming in for HH meter users (mostly commercial) and need to understand the Kva peak demand to advise clients appropriately! The whole issue of smart meters is a dastardly fiendish and thickening plot watch this space!

...I was going to write a thesis type post on this...haven't got the will...

So,i will just say...smart-phones,smart-cards,smart-motorways,smart renewable deals,smart meters....

If you want to guarantee,the future disappointment in a thing...just put the word "smart" in front of it.:)

Any organisation,whatsover,would have a debate on their hands,if their meter had a strop,whilst being disconnected for the reason of emergency or improvement in the safety of an installation,and they whinged.

How many individuals on this forum,have had to either accidentally or deliberately improve or rectify the DNO's equipment,and then cross their fingers and hope no-one knows?

I have had it from the horses mouth,re: a certain DNO,that they fully accept and are content,that competent electricians,perform a good percentage of "improvements",during the course of their work,but for obvious reasons,can neither be thanked or acknowledged.

....Just like finding a full toilet,in an expensive restaurant,and flushing it yourself,as you go :p

Well I certainly believe we should keep an eye on the whole issue of smart meters. It is really eye opening what they are capable of. They are effectively PA machines and certainly can "spy" on users habits. They have a cut off mechanism it is pictured on the meter diagrammatically and it is acknowledged by energy suppliers on this forum a couple of weeks ago. Not directly here but a link. If anyone does know anything give it up here. This is going to be an issue as of 2018 and certainly by 2020. What will you say to your client when they ask you what is our Kva, we need to know it and it says the electrical contractor can tell you? I do know the answer now to this. STARK account.

I know I have shown this pic a few times. However it just beggers belief that the meter installer will connect to this mess, but (as the energy supplier stated) will walk away if they find the meter has been bypassed (pic above). They did not however when they came to fit the meter to the new box. Gift of the blarney stone.;)

Smart meters- anyone had problems? IMG_3416.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

I know I have shown this pic a few times. However it just beggers belief that the meter installer will connect to this mess, but (as the energy supplier stated) will walk away if they find the meter has been bypassed (pic above). They did not however when they came to fit the meter to the new box. Gift of the blarney stone.;)

View attachment 38733
Good job you had a flash on phone camera........what good's that lampholder without a lamp?

I'm dealing with the above,at present. Out of the three statements,they fail on three of them.

If i have the patience,i will be ringing them again,tomorrow,on behalf of my parents.

Up to date,they have failed categorically,to deliver on three arranged meter fits,and there are two separate compensation payments due,and an alleged investigation...

I have turned round,several meter teams,including one visit,at 8am,with two vans...felt a bit strong-arm,and the lads were sound,but were sent packing.

They are in Offgen territory now,and will be also liable for the rebate,on the increased billing,due to not being able to apply the agreed tariff,on my parents two existing meters.

My two hours of conversation,available through FOI,would make a cracking comedy programme,with at no point,me getting rude,threatening or loud,but at one point in the last two calls,i tell the agent "please don't be offended,as i fully understand,you are merely an employee...but i am now going to go over things,as if i was speaking to my child,when he was 6. He is now 9,and understands the concept and responsibility,of a promise. Do you anticipate,that someone could listen to this conversation,and believe there are any areas,where doubt remains?...So that is yourself,replying "no" to that question,is that correct?...

....Imagine 40+ minutes of that...

I will be back,with latest "new" managers,promise :cool:

Below is a bit of info I got from the Department of Energy and Climate Change regarding these smart meters.

We expect the battery life of smart gas meters to be 15 years. (gas meter display only updates every 30 mins there the elec on is every 30 seconds)

Information on a consumer’s electricity and gas consumption is stored on the smart meters. Consumers will be able to access this information via the In Home Display, by securely connecting another device (a Consumer Access Device) to their Home Area Network that allows the smart meter to communicate other devices in the home, or by requesting information from their supplier. The In Home Display, which will be offered to all domestic consumers, will give the consumer near real time information on their electricity use, enabling them to see what energy they are using and how much it is costing

Consumers will have control over who has access to their data, apart from where this is required for billing and other regulated duties. As part of the data access and privacy framework, suppliers will be allowed to access monthly data for billing purposes. Customers may opt out from allowing suppliers to access daily data, or opt in to allow suppliers to access half-hourly data. Suppliers will be required to explain clearly to their customers which data is being used, for which purposes, and what choices the consumer has about this. Thus, if a consumer has opted in to giving the supplier access to half hourly data, then the supplier will be allowed to collect information covering half hourly periods.
Energy UK has published a Data Guide which explains which data will be accessed from the smart meter, for which purposes, and what choices customers have about this: Smart meters | Energy UK - http://www.energy-uk.org.uk/policy/smart-meters.html

Thanks for the responses. I've no idea of the make/model of the meter, though it's in domestic premises. I just don't want to end up leaving the customer with no power if the meter locks out or whatever, with possible costs to have it sorted.
Anyone else have practical experience of powering down these bl**dy things?

Funny, reading this thread now I've just had a call from my electricity supplier asking if I wanted to replace my smart meter! I told her that I wasn't interested, and she asked if I knew about the benefits of having a smart meter. I told her again that I was not interested and I hadn't changed my mind from the last 2 times I wasn't interested. She didn't try any more after that, the best part was she sounded really pis.sed off. Sadly I've only once been able to make a telemarketer cry. I must try harder, but I often find it difficult not to laugh when I'm wasting their time...

Well I certainly believe we should keep an eye on the whole issue of smart meters. It is really eye opening what they are capable of. They are effectively PA machines and certainly can "spy" on users habits. They have a cut off mechanism it is pictured on the meter diagrammatically and it is acknowledged by energy suppliers on this forum a couple of weeks ago.

Instead of engaging in tin-foil hat speculation, why don't you just read the SMETS1 technical equipment specification? It tells you exactly what the meters are capable of. There's a similar document for SMETS 2.

I'll even give you a starter

7.1.1.51 Load Switch A component that can close or open (including on receipt of a Command to that effect) to Enable or Disable the flow of electricity to and from the Premises.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/299395/smets.pdf

Well thanks @guy@secure for vindicating my "tin-foil hat speculation". If you analyse what was said you have said exactly what I have stated. I have made reference to where information I have discussed is available to look at rather than speculate. If you search on the forum I am sure it should not be too difficult for you to find. I suppose you work for a meter installation company and that would explain your attempt ad hominem attack on the material/author? If you wish to contribute to a conversation I remind you of the requirement to keep it polite and professional if you are able to. Furthermore you may not be aware but there are considerable data protection considerations for these smart meters, now why would that be? I'll give you a starter: Rhetorical question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Smart meters- anyone had problems? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back