Discuss Smart meters- anyone had problems? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just throwing in my opinion Spoon, not the intention to portray you as some kind of freak :D, you could wear a tinfoil hat which makes you immune to data harvesting ;)
As Sparks says, it is a good point about putting meter readers out of a job but that was going to happen anyway as technology moves on, meters with remote readout abilities have been around for decades, it's just now you don't need to even go to the address to get the reading as just logging into a computer is all that is required on modern meters and this comes regardless of data harvesting other than the intended reading... technology has a habit of wiping out whole sections of the job market but it also creates new job fronts too.... agree that this is of no comfort to the meter reader doing his job but you cannot just blame smart meters here, you can txt or send online your meter reading at anytime nowadays which again is another wedge in the need for a manual meter reading.
Yes true DW but don't you think there should at least be some sort of annual check, as I thought meter readers were also trained to look for signs of dodgy stuff, or maybe due to the massive profits the companies make they are not really that bothered?

Yes true DW but don't you think there should at least be some sort of annual check, as I thought meter readers were also trained to look for signs of dodgy stuff, or maybe due to the massive profits the companies make they are not really that bothered?
There is a solution to meter tampering now we are in the smart wireless area and that is a cutout and meter combo that knows when its seals are cut/removed, I know this was done before but there was no other benefit to fitting them and it was costly just to fit them for no other reason, now the benefits outweigh the costs. If they also has a isolation point that qualified competent persons could access to change tails etc for new boards then this would satisfy all parties involved, you cannot stop any determine electric thief but at the moment you can watch a 30second youtube video and know how to bypass your meter so it is open to major abuse by even the most incompetent of people.

I think they will still do periodic meter checks. Specially if any dodgy behaviour is suspected.

Here's your answer;-
I asked Gittish Bras for a smart meter but because I have solar PV they couldn't give me one.
Reading all these reasons NOT to get one, I may refuse when they finally say their meters and PV are compatible.

Are suppliers likely to prosecute if their smart meters tell them the fuse was pulled for 5 minutes? If the usage was the same before and after? (ie to change the c.u without an isolator)
If a drastic reduction in usage was recorded, then that would suggest a visit to check the situation.

Are suppliers likely to prosecute if their smart meters tell them the fuse was pulled for 5 minutes? If the usage was the same before and after? (ie to change the c.u without an isolator)
If a drastic reduction in usage was recorded, then that would suggest a visit to check the situation

Seems sensible to me.

Reply to Smart meters- anyone had problems? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net