Discuss Smart meters, pulling fuses, what’s the latest? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rpa07

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was searching around previous threads going back into 2016 reference to pulling the fuse upstream of the meter. Trying to find whether it makes the meter go doolally with self preservation!
I’ve only pulled the fuse on one modern smart and it was ok, we’ll it didn’t shreak at me!
I’ve got a stand alone RCD that I can leave in place until I’ve done all my CU change and the time to do it but wondered if anyone has any stories or are they all mythical tales. Cheers

Was searching around previous threads going back into 2016 reference to pulling the fuse upstream of the meter. Trying to find whether it makes the meter go doolally with self preservation!
I’ve only pulled the fuse on one modern smart and it was ok, we’ll it didn’t shreak at me!
I’ve got a stand alone RCD that I can leave in place until I’ve done all my CU change and the time to do it but wondered if anyone has any stories or are they all mythical tales. Cheers
"Game of Meters" a new TV extravaganza.

"Game of Meters" a new TV extravaganza.
@Vortigern will be along in a minute with the tin foil hat he keeps in his sock drawer. Reading the posts from 2016/17 was quite amusing. Haven’t heard much lately though there must have been hundreds of seals (missing) and fuses pulled for CU changes.

Whats the difference between a power cut and the fuse being removed and replaced?
That’s what I’m getting at - do they scream when you cut them or is it a myth?
There were posts about meters locking themselves out in tamper mode.

It's always handy when they fit SP mains blocks after the meter but if the meter tails in your case go straight from the meter to the board which is to be changed there's no sensible option but to pull the fuse- better than taking the terminal cover off the meter as that has a tamper switch ! :eek:

If you are replacing the tails many smart meters have a tamper switch operated by the terminal cover.

So what happens in that instance - will it lock the meter?
If you are replacing the tails many smart meters have a tamper switch operated by the terminal cover.
As I have the in line RCD I may DP Henley it - quick fuse pull to help with Health and safety! I would prefer non broken tails though!

Going back to those last year threads members were saying that because it would be real time then there wouldn’t be time for it to report the cut of power and that’s the reason I’m asking - as Lee says, he’s had no problems and except for the tamper door issue - how much is real not speculative?

I have had one of the early smart meters make a sad beeping noise.. was like an episode of casualty... but fuse was only out whilst i fitted an isolator, as soon as it was back in it stopped. from what i have found doing a bit of digging on t'interweb... the energy firms can if they set the system up monitor the meters to alert them to things such as loss of supply, faults.. the fuse being pulled an example as they dont know if its blown or been pulled... at the same time these firms pay the call centre staff a pittance and cut back most things so i cant see them paying staff to monitor these things... the meters do have an event log on one of the chips in side which could if they bothered to extract the data show the supply was interrupted.. again its the cost of doing this. only if something went belly up would they bother.. if you are really worried about them noticing the fuse has been pulled in real time. put a tin or something metallic over the meter! will act as a Faraday cage blocking the phone signal. in the event the software in the energy firm alerts them to it being pulled, when somebody gets around to looking at it, there is a good chance the fuse will be back in and everything normal. so they will just carry on as they were before.

I have had one of the early smart meters make a sad beeping noise.. was like an episode of casualty... but fuse was only out whilst i fitted an isolator, as soon as it was back in it stopped. from what i have found doing a bit of digging on t'interweb... the energy firms can if they set the system up monitor the meters to alert them to things such as loss of supply, faults.. the fuse being pulled an example as they dont know if its blown or been pulled... at the same time these firms pay the call centre staff a pittance and cut back most things so i cant see them paying staff to monitor these things... the meters do have an event log on one of the chips in side which could if they bothered to extract the data show the supply was interrupted.. again its the cost of doing this. only if something went belly up would they bother.. if you are really worried about them noticing the fuse has been pulled in real time. put a tin or something metallic over the meter! will act as a Faraday cage blocking the phone signal. in the event the software in the energy firm alerts them to it being pulled, when somebody gets around to looking at it, there is a good chance the fuse will be back in and everything normal. so they will just carry on as they were before.
Nice one Gavin, point is if the supply is interrupted and is restored after however long and all readings are the same before and after, then there should be no issue. I just wanted to make sure there was no annoying meter ‘shutdown until unlocked’ affair which would really annoy. Sounds like there isn’t save the tamper cover on the tails, meter to CU, so thanks for the inputs.

they can tell if there is an DNO outage, if not supply has been de energized unauthorized.

For this to work conclusively, all the energy suppliers need access to a master database of DNO outages, and all the DNOs need to populate details of all their outages.... that all seems rather far fetched. We are in a rural area and experience frequent short (up to a couple of minutes duration) outages, particularly on windy nights, sometimes just on one phase. I doubt very much there is any record of these, as on the odd occasion I've reported them, the DNO are unaware and they don't appear on the SSEPD Power Track map. Agreed that major outages covering hundreds of premises for longer periods of time will be documented.

For this to work conclusively, all the energy suppliers need access to a master database of DNO outages, and all the DNOs need to populate details of all their outages.... that all seems rather far fetched. We are in a rural area and experience frequent short (up to a couple of minutes duration) outages, particularly on windy nights, sometimes just on one phase. I doubt very much there is any record of these, as on the odd occasion I've reported them, the DNO are unaware and they don't appear on the SSEPD Power Track map. Agreed that major outages covering hundreds of premises for longer periods of time will be documented.
I agree, lets be sensible about this, if seals are cut by sparkys to do their job, CU changes etc I have no problem with that see it all the time, what gets my goat up is when I see the wire on.!! We all pay for that. This is why the tamper device is in place on the new tech meters.

I recall a case a year or two back where somebody had racked up huge water bill debts and point blank refused to pay... for some legal reason they cant cut off your water for non payment except in very very rare reasons as water is essential for life... likewise for the energy firm to shut off a smart meter remotely with no knowledge of the reason for an alert is a bit iffy.. for all they know somebody is tucked up in bed on a ventilator or in a lift etc... shutting it off remotely opens them up to failing in the duty of care should somebody come to harm... these firms have legal depts bigger than most american nfl teams... if they want to shut the meter down then i would be almost certain they would need to send an engineer around to check first in order to cover there backsides. then they might phone back to hq to send the kill signal or just plug in and do it on site...

Reply to Smart meters, pulling fuses, what’s the latest? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock