Discuss Smart switch replacing old style in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

gaogier

-
DIY
Reaction score
hello

I first want to say I am autistic and have difficulties communicating so if any problems arise I am sorry.

I have no experiences with electrical stufff, but my mum was a school caretaker and knows enough to do simple things.

I often leave my bedroom light on all the time, costing loads of money. I have now gone out and brought a new smart light switch, so I can turn off the light anywhere. Only problem is that my current light switch has 2 cables, and the new one says it should be 3.

Does this mean I can’t have a smart switch? Have I got the wrong one?

This is the switch I brought Meross Wi-Fi Smart Light Wall Switch Neutral Wire Required Smart Wi-Fi Touch Switch Tempered Glass Touch-Screen Wireless Remote Control Compatible with Amazon Alexa & Google Home Timing Function Overload Protection No Hub required Via mobile App Support IOS and Android Fit for UK/EU MSS510H https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXHCJ1R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hkZXBbRN9PRV0

hello

I first want to say I am autistic and have difficulties communicating so if any problems arise I am sorry.

I have no experiences with electrical stufff, but my mum was a school caretaker and knows enough to do simple things.

I often leave my bedroom light on all the time, costing loads of money. I have now gone out and brought a new smart light switch, so I can turn off the light anywhere. Only problem is that my current light switch has 2 cables, and the new one says it should be 3.

Does this mean I can’t have a smart switch? Have I got the wrong one?

This is the switch I brought Meross Wi-Fi Smart Light Wall Switch Neutral Wire Required Smart Wi-Fi Touch Switch Tempered Glass Touch-Screen Wireless Remote Control Compatible with Amazon Alexa & Google Home Timing Function Overload Protection No Hub required Via mobile App Support IOS and Android Fit for UK/EU MSS510H https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GXHCJ1R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hkZXBbRN9PRV0
Your best bet would be to get an Electrician to do the work tell him / Her what you require.
You should be applauded for trying to sort things out yourself, but in the grande scheme of things, professional help is the best way forward.

Welcome to the forum mate.
You new smart switch required a Neutral wire.
Your existing switch will (most probably) just have a switch wire going to it.
With the current wiring setup you can't use the new switch.

I have spoken to my mum, who is going to did out her old contacts book for the school technicians she used to work with, and is going to run her idea to make sure it’s safe.

She is also going to do the work for me, unless it’s a simple switch over that I can do.

Thank you, I shall let you know if it’s going to work or not

It will probably need a neutral that you won't have, may be try and find one that doesn't require a neutral to save hassle

It will probably need a neutral that you won't have, may be try and find one that doesn't require a neutral to save hassle

It does need a neutral, it says so in the description.
★Attention Please: Neutral Wire Required for Installation.

It does need a neutral, it says so in the description.
★Attention Please: Neutral Wire Required for Installation.
I tend not to open links for the fear that it might be something else after a few bad experiences so I didn't pick up on it

Reply to Smart switch replacing old style in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net