• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Smart switch wiring issues in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sean

-
Reaction score
Hi all looking for advice in solving a problem I have?.. I have installed a 3 gang WiFi smart switch. 2 of the switchs are working as they should. Wiring I have.. Black/red/earth x2..red/earth x1. How its working.. Earth's to back plate together.. Single red to L. 2 blacks to N. Other reds to L 1 & L 2..these are working fine... 3..empty...how do I get L 3 to work?.. Is there a loop way?.. Any advice would be great thanks..

Smart switch wiring issues 20180210_115819 - EletriciansForums.net

Don’t suppose you took a photograph before you took the old switch off?

Are you sure the black cables are neutrals? How were they connected at the old switch?

the 3rd switch will not do anything because there's no cable coming out of L1.

No I'm not sure they are neutrals but 2 switchs work.. I did try moving black wires. One left in N. Other to L1.. This left no power one way. And made no difference the other..
Smart switch wiring issues 20180210_101803 - EletriciansForums.net
Smart switch wiring issues 20180210_101803 - EletriciansForums.net
Smart switch wiring issues 20180210_101820 - EletriciansForums.net

Have you got two way switching where one light is controlled by two switches.

you only have 2 switches in the old configuration, 1 of which is 2 way. why do you need a 3rd switch?

might be a little job for taffy super spark. AKA des56.

Yes but other switch doesn't do anything now..
When you say it doesn't do anything now is that because of fitting the new switch. Bottom line is you need someone on site to verify what wire does what, sometimes we can say for certain but not in your case.

I'm confused by this post.
As @telectrix has stated in post #11. The existing config only has 2 switches.

As far as I can tell from your pictures, you have 2 one way switched lights (one of which is in the next patress -fed from the back of the other light switch) and 1 two way switched light(s). It looks to me like there are is no neutral at that switch. I believe you may need a neutral for the switch to work. The two way light will need to be fixed so the other switch becomes redundant and the spare core sleeved g/y and connected to earth.
I am only guessing though and I couldn't tell you for sure without actually being at the property.
My advice would be to call in an electrician who can advise you further.

It's pretty much guess work until the OP gets back to us and gives us more info.

Reply to Smart switch wiring issues in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock