Discuss Smoke alarm help in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

Welshsparky

Have been asked to fit a smoke alarm in a loft of a thatched cottage, Their is a smoke alarm system their already so interconnect... easy peasy .. the issue i have is they require remote control to test only the smoke alarm in the loft , now if i was to fit a wireless base to that one smoke to communicate with the remote would it only set off that one smoke or would it set all of them off?

If it would set them all off , how would i get around it?

You will need to fit two wireless bases to enable the new smoke alarm to communicate with the rest of the alarms. If you hard wire a control switch to the loft smoke I guess that at least it will sound first, but I don't think you'll be able to only test the one smoke unless you don't interconnect it.

Good luck.

Suggest fitting Ion detection in this everoment, thatched roofs give out a lot of dust particules, which is a problem for optical sensors

Have been asked to fit a smoke alarm in a loft of a thatched cottage, Their is a smoke alarm system their already so interconnect... easy peasy .. the issue i have is they require remote control to test only the smoke alarm in the loft , now if i was to fit a wireless base to that one smoke to communicate with the remote would it only set off that one smoke or would it set all of them off?

If it would set them all off , how would i get around it?

If its not an Aico already, worth getting one of their smokes up there and installing this with it?

Aico EI1529RC Mains Powered Remote Control Switch: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

If using Aico you only need 1 radio base and interlink all others by 3 core, using radio remote test switch will sound all detectors. Ion are better is thatched cottage (this is actual experience) due to straw dust etc, if you used optical they will false alarm

If using Aico you only need 1 radio base and interlink all others by 3 core, using radio remote test switch will sound all detectors. Ion are better is thatched cottage (this is actual experience) due to straw dust etc, if you used optical they will false alarm

Ahhh... ok.

You need it to be both interlinked and unlinked depending on status required then

Perhaps wire that alarm from existing via a standard wired remote test switch,then mount a separate press switch nearby that will isolate the triggering of the rest of the system,it can then also double up as the test switch for the system as a whole, the alarm trigger wire being normally closed at the press switch

Des the Aico test switch is totally wireless with 10 year battery, so apart from wiring the smokes in the loft area, no other wiring is needed

So basically if I take a 3 core from the current smoke in the landing to the new smoke in the loft and fit a wireless base to the smoke in the loft to communicate with the remote tester this will be ok?

Thanks for your help all

Welsh yes, change landing to aico wireless base and smoke...optical here. Then run 3 core from this base to detectors in the loft, this will give you all you need. If there is power for lights already in the loft, you can install another radio base on one of the loft detectors and just use 3 core within loft space Remote test switch is radio and just needs programming into the base(s)....jobs a gooden

Reply to Smoke alarm help in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock