Discuss Smoke alarm in common area of flats? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

robo83

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a common area above a shop which is a small hallway leading to 2 flats.

Each flat has 3 smoke alarms, one behind their front door, kitchen, hallway, these are hard wired back to their consumer unit.

The common area has 2 emergency lights installed but i have seen nothing on the design that menntions smoke alarms. The flats have been installed in a refurbished building.

I have looked at the guidance on sleeping accommodation and it mentions they are not required in a build that is to current regulations. This is not a newbuild but has large alterations throughout.

Fire safety risk assessment: sleeping accommodation - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fire-safety-risk-assessment-sleeping-accommodation

Does anyone have advice or been in a similar situaion.

Not required. The escape route should be so constructed that it becomes a protected route and it is generally considered a fire is likely to occur within the dwelling and not the common area. The provision of asd behind the door of each dwelling is correct. You must consider if automatic detection is installed on the common area how would you ensure the correct noise level is obtained at the bedhead, linking the dwellings and the common area will give rise to nuisance activation and a long term attitude of ignoring it. Emergency lighting however is required. Approved Document B gives lots of info on this.

weather its a flat that has its own smoke detectors ,but the common area should have a fire panel in the stair well . by saying that the flat are at risk where a person can start a fire at the main entrance .
that why a smoke/det at the main entrance and heat behind the flat door .

The common area should be constructed so that if a fire does occur there is no material which will propagate the fire. There is no requirement to install automatic fire detection as it is deemed a low risk area.

I find this a bit confusing. You are saying flats are constructed and Smoke or heat detectors are installed in the flat and it has been refurbished. So the access (stairs/hallway) has already been designed by the architect/builder? Including provision of fire alarm and emergency lighting. Why would you be considering further additions at this late stage. Has that not been sorted out already. Of course if in doubt you can always consult local enforcement controls.

Of course local authorities may have a different view but generally it is not required.

Quick update

Had LBControl out to site, they informed me no need for Smoke Detectors in communal area due to the size (very small). He did check Smokes were just behind the door into each flat, checked EM lighting etc.

Pretty much as wastward10 said...

Reply to Smoke alarm in common area of flats? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net