Discuss Smoke Alarm in Porch in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

catdog

-
Reaction score
Have a job to fit smoke alarms to 2 bed two storey house which is going to be rented out (Im in Scotland by the way).

(Have tried to find some details for this online but failed!)

Normally I would fit smoke alarm in downstairs hall, kitchen (Heat), living room and upstairs landing. This house has a front porch with a door separating it from the hall. Any ideas if the front porch would require a smoke alarm as this would be an escape route?

Also the consumer unit is located in the garage ( attached to the house), anybody know of any requirements to install a smoke alarm?

thanks guys,

If in doubt contact Aico - their support and guidance is excellent.

Yeah had thought of that. Although recently had some doubts with their advice as they'd speced a job with 10yr sealed battery alarms rf linled for use in living rooms which I still think doesn't comply when it's not mains powered.....

From your description, the porch does not require a detector. Neither does the garage (even with the CU there).
Interestingly, I was installing detectors in an HMO last month and the licensing officer required a detector in the hall cupboard due to the CU being there - that's not given in any of the HMO licensing guidance I've seen, but a good idea nonetheless.
PS you're correct, in Scotland private rented require smokes/ heats to be mains interlinked ( hard wired or radio) with battery back up.

Last edited:
The requirement is for smokes in circulation spaces (hallway), main living area and kitchen. The porch is not classed as a circulation space.

Thanks for your replies guys. Yeah wasnt sure what was defined as a 'circulation space'. I always like to make sure have enough detection but don't want to go over the top or have customers asking why I have put detectors in when not 'required'.

Reply to Smoke Alarm in Porch in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net