Discuss Smoke alarm installation in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can anyone advise me on the legislation on installing mains battery backed up interlinked smoke alarm systems in domestic properties?
I am working for a local authority who have us installing aico smoke, heat and co alarms in their properties. Whilst speaking with one of the aico reps the other week he seemed to be surprised that nobody here had any training to BS5839 to design and certificate these alarms after we have fitted them. The only cert the install gets is the electrical installation cert and nothing else. Is this the norm or should somebody be commissioning these alarms before they go into service. Any advice would be appreciated.

Given the tragedy of yesterday I would have hoped that you , or at least the foreman has the relevant training and experience of installation and certification.

Do you use certificate software which includes the relevant certificates?

That said installation of smoke alarms, as you know, isn't in BS 7671 so its not really our issue - its more like a grey area of the regs, and as they need lecky, we get asked to install them...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the problem, like you say it seems to be a grey area in our industry. Everyone I speak to offers different advice. I keep getting told that anyone can specify smoke alarms as long as you are deemed a competent person. Surly the only way you can prove competance is to have a relevant qualification in fire detection and installation. Am I over thinking this??

A smoke alarm system should be commissioned in line with the manufacturers info and BS5839 and a certificate produced to prove it. Aico can provide templates for this.

Training for the design element of this job would not go amiss given the role you are in.

In reality a large number of us are capable of consulting the Aico website for advice - that said people still spec the wrong units for halls and landings, but I suspect that's about saving money.

if you can install and test the smokes, then i'd deem you competent.

Just an example of a test sheetSmoke alarm installation IMG_2760.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Hi guys,
Can anyone advise me on the legislation on installing mains battery backed up interlinked smoke alarm systems in domestic properties?
I am working for a local authority who have us installing aico smoke, heat and co alarms in their properties. Whilst speaking with one of the aico reps the other week he seemed to be surprised that nobody here had any training to BS5839 to design and certificate these alarms after we have fitted them. The only cert the install gets is the electrical installation cert and nothing else. Is this the norm or should somebody be commissioning these alarms before they go into service. Any advice would be appreciated.

So if God forbid somebody was injured or even worse lost their life as a result of fire in said property, would the fact that the alarms have been installed "electrically " correct to BS7671 and that I had filled out a commissioning form that I downloaded off the Internet be sufficiant to prove myself competent in a court of law?

If you are going to design, install and commission these systems you need a copy of BS5839 Part 6. Although British Standards are not law, having it and demonstrating knowledge of it may prove due dilligence in a court of law.

Last edited:
always give a certificate for smoke alarm installation, record type of system Ect, the only thing we record under testing is as per manufacturers instructions (press & hold ensure alarms work).
From Aico site

System Testing – Installation Certificate
Once the system has been installed it should be tested and an installation certificate provided. Some certificates ask for a smoke/heat test to be performed on the alarms, however we do not recommend this as the results can be misleading and all Aico alarms are tested in smoke/heat/CO as part of the production process. We recommend testing using the test button on front of the alarms.

If your certificate requires reference to smoke/heat testing, you can use the following wording as a ‘variation’ if you are testing using the test buttons:

“A physical smoke/heat test has not been performed, having been substituted by following the testing recommendation contained within the Siting and Installation Instructions supplied by the manufacturer of the alarms installed.”

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Very surprised that this is not getting picked up at time of annual scam membership, most years we have had an audit they ask to see smoke alarm certificate.
on the certificate we issue it also includes the relevant electrical certificate number also.

Reply to Smoke alarm installation in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock