Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Smoke Alarm Regs For B&B? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. nlbhoy

nlbhoy Regular EF Member

Anyone know the regs for installing mains, interlinked alarms in a B&B in Scotland?

The property has 5 bedrooms in total, 3 of which are rented out during season. I've found some
    info suggesting that if there's more than 3 rooms then every room should have a mains powered
    (interlinked) alarms.

Is this more than 3 rooms rented out? or would this include the tenants rooms etc?

Thanks

2. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I would suggest that the local council dept that issues their licence to operate as a B&B would have the answer.

This link seems to suggest that battery powered smokes are acceptable if they are non removable 10 year lithiums, but mains powered is strongly suggested.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2010/07/06160047/1

3. Dave the spark

Dave the spark learning all the time

It will be classed as multiple occupancy I'd imagine so one in each room, one in hall up and down stairs dependant on the house, one in lounge and heat in kitchen.

Oh, and HH:fourleaf:

4. nlbhoy

nlbhoy Regular EF Member

Thanks Andy.

This was the link I referenced online, reading it more closely in regards to small B&B's it states
    "more than 3 guest bedrooms" would require a detector in each room. As the one I visited has 3 guest rooms, it sounds like I won't need to install one in each room.

5. nlbhoy

nlbhoy Regular EF Member

This is what I was thinking, but reading the link above more carefully, I think this is for "more than 3 guest rooms" (so 4+) that requires a detector in each room. HH

6. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

That's correct, but I thought your question was regarding the type of power for the alarm system not the extent of it.

7. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Stick a Part 1 system in.