Discuss Smoke alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aaelectric

Have 3 smoke alarms in a house which are supposed to be interlinked but are not. The red light flashes every minute or so. Would this be because they are not interlinked. Green light is constant and are all new alarms?

think you'll find that the red flashing every minute is either normal or a sign of weak battery, depending on the make and model. usually, however a weak battery will give an audible warning. suggest googling for makers instructions.

If they are FireX smoke alarms, a red blink indicates that they are OK.

What make and model are they?

Where are you seeing t&e?
At the board? That'd be normal.
At all bases? Someone used the cpc as interlink?

Get the leccy back and get some radio bases installed if no link

They are aico and are not interlinked as they are using two core t&e

If they are Aico's check for radio link bases if there's t&e in everyone. If there is not any, shouldn't be hard to fit.
I've got a feeling the red light is battery low, but not flat as it will beep then. They also flash red to say they have been activated but silenced.
Best check the manufacturers instructions.

From what you've said I would probably say 1mm or 1.5mm t&e interlinked with 3c&e. Dependant on the requirements of the installation method.

i all

Any advice / pdf / handbooks/ leaflets with guidance on minimum siting and selection of alarms going ?

Is there any requirements as to what alarms to use ? ( heat alarm for kitchen ) but as for ionisation/optical ?

thanks

A little off from the OP but looked at 3 rented houses yesterday in which the landlord want EICRs done on them. He has also asked about putting in mains smoke alarms, so I will be quoting him for these.

My question is regards interlinking. There is no way at the minute to go installing cabling to interlink them and I reckon the price of RF bases will kill him.

So do you reckon its a good idea to install the alarms for him, but not interlink them, then when he feels hes willing to let me or someone back to get the interlinking sorted he can do.

My thought is the mains smoke that are not interlinked are better than none or the old knackered battery ones he has now with the batteries removed.

Last edited:
A little off from the OP but looked at 3 rented houses yesterday in which the landlord want EICRs done on them. He has also asked about putting in mains smoke alarms, so I will be quoting him for these.

My question is regards interlinking. There is no way at the minute to go installing cabling to interlink them and I reckon the price of RF bases will kill him.

So do you reckon its a good idea to install the alarms for him, but not interlink them, then when he feels hes willing to let me or someone back to get the interlinking sorted he can do.

My thought is the mains smoke that are not interlinked are better than none or the old knackered battery ones he has now with the batteries removed.

For me its installed properly, i.e. interlinked by RF or cable or not at all.

Doing an install tomorrow of 2 x Aico RF systems, interestingly the requirement for fitting them in the house, to the hall and landing has come from building control - and building control haven't asked for one in the massive kitchen/family room

Reply to Smoke alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock