Discuss Smoke alarms in rental properties in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

super_stuey

Hey up all, finally actually STARTIN a thread as opposed to just reading them for once! Im sure this has been done before but thought id ask.

Client is doing up an old 2 up 2 down terrace to rent out and got quite a few bits to do. Not a full re-wire just board change, extra sockets, bonding, cooker supply, and general tidy up.

House has 3 scratty old battery smoke alarms and ive mentioned about havin new system fitted but client is unsure due to price etc. Is it just a case of "I cant MAKE you have them"? I don't think it is actually law to have them in rental properties.

Anyone else id just say "fair enough its up 2 you" but shes a family friend and I see her a lot so would like something to go back to her with.

Ps This isnt another RCD?/RCBO?/Own circuit?/Local Lighting Circuit? thread!!!!! lol

Cheers
Stu

Hey up all, finally actually STARTIN a thread as opposed to just reading them for once! Im sure this has been done before but thought id ask.

Client is doing up an old 2 up 2 down terrace to rent out and got quite a few bits to do. Not a full re-wire just board change, extra sockets, bonding, cooker supply, and general tidy up.

House has 3 scratty old battery smoke alarms and ive mentioned about havin new system fitted but client is unsure due to price etc. Is it just a case of "I cant MAKE you have them"? I don't think it is actually law to have them in rental properties.

Anyone else id just say "fair enough its up 2 you" but shes a family friend and I see her a lot so would like something to go back to her with.

Ps This isnt another RCD?/RCBO?/Own circuit?/Local Lighting Circuit? thread!!!!! lol

Cheers
Stu
It's not law to have them in rented properties(single occupancy) . It is in HMO. I know this as I've lived in 2 rented properties and neither had them, and I checked up to make sure.
However, a landlord has a duty of care towards their tenants and if, god forbid a fire occured and there were fatalities, there is I believe, a chance that a prosecution could be brought because of failure of duty of care. This is all in my opinion, but I have seen this mentioned in a couple of places.
No disrespect to your friend but this is standard behaviour for landlords, the majority are as stingy as hell when it comes to their tenants. Me I'd rather sleep safe at night knowing my tenants were as safe and protected as could be.

Last edited:
My ma lives in a council house, just had a refit, new ch, new kitchen, new bathroom, rewired...no smoke detectors.
Hence, private landlords have a duty of care, council have none.
(ps the job done was first class, no gripes)

I wired an extension (private house) recently under the same council authority, made me install 2 x smoke detectors. The customer said he wanted 1 (the other spoils decor and not needed, i agreed) council man says no. You have to have two or trouble signing the job off...you couldn't make it up

My ma lives in a council house, just had a refit, new ch, new kitchen, new bathroom, rewired...no smoke detectors.
Hence, private landlords have a duty of care, council have none.
(ps the job done was first class, no gripes)

I wired an extension (private house) recently under the same council authority, made me install 2 x smoke detectors. The customer said he wanted 1 (the other spoils decor and not needed, i agreed) council man says no. You have to have two or trouble signing the job off...you couldn't make it up

Reason the LABC made you do that is because under the building regs the building has undergone a material change of use ie extension.
Couldn't agree with you more though. Don't matter to them if they aint paying:(.

Yep I do somewhat agree, smokes are a good idea...but the extension was open plan including open plan staircase within same room. So smoke in downstairs room (which completely spoils the ceiling effects lighting) and one at top of stairs...complete bollox, no added safety whatsoever. But trying to argue is like knitting fog, complete nutters, computer says no blah blah. One rule for them a nother for us...

Problems for me are customers whom think I'm blagging extra work...so I love it when council man comes...they shrug shoulders, oh well, are they easy to remove when the council have fkced off?

Doing `GRANT WORK` via our local council they spec co2 detctors and smoke/heat detectors on rented properties.
Any refurbs we do on a `standard house` we install as if it was a new build. LD2 Grade 4 system (if you have bs5839-6!)

Reply to Smoke alarms in rental properties in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock