Discuss Smoke alarms in student accomodation in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bluearmy

Does anyone know the requirements for the amount of smoke alarms required in a semi detatched house with 5 bedrooms in for students? Just wondering if there has too be 1 in each room, or at the top/bottom of stairs is adequate?

Hi, just done a board change in a room let house and fitted smokes (same thing as student house i think) requirements for them were 1 in every room and 1 in all common rooms, stairs landing etc, aswel as heat detector in kitchen, they all must be interlinked. I found it easier using the radio link bases, so insted of running 3 core between every alarm just took the feed from nearest light. They were a lot more expensive but saved loads of time as this property was 3 storey and wood/tile/laminate flooring everywhere

and they'll be forever sounding due to the smoke from all the pot smoking.

Hi, just done a board change in a room let house and fitted smokes (same thing as student house i think) requirements for them were 1 in every room and 1 in all common rooms, stairs landing etc, aswel as heat detector in kitchen, they all must be interlinked. I found it easier using the radio link bases, so insted of running 3 core between every alarm just took the feed from nearest light. They were a lot more expensive but saved loads of time as this property was 3 storey and wood/tile/laminate flooring everywhere

Thanks very much for your message. Ive never heard of radio link bases what are these? So u just literally just took a cable from the light in each room to the s/d? Also is it a reg that all rooms must have a s/d in? What made you do it that way?

The customer already had a plan drew up from building control and he wanted one in every room. I think all rooms must have them in a student/room rent house.
Yes take a feed from light to the smoke/heat in every room, then follow the instructions on linking them (hold down button for a few secs then move on to the next) and they all link wireless. They aint cheap, but as i said a whole lot easier.

nah, we fit fart alarms in there. acivated accoustically or by smell.

The customer already had a plan drew up from building control and he wanted one in every room. I think all rooms must have them in a student/room rent house.
Yes take a feed from light to the smoke/heat in every room, then follow the instructions on linking them (hold down button for a few secs then move on to the next) and they all link wireless. They aint cheap, but as i said a whole lot easier.

Thanks very much again. Great help

Sorry i may have got that wrong. Iv worked on 2 recently and the last one had them in every single room apart from bathrrom/toilet. The one before had a building control map and it showed heat in kitchen, smoke in landings, hallways but not in the bedrooms. I paid about 360 for 6 smokes and 6 wireless bases

Sorry i may have got that wrong. Iv worked on 2 recently and the last one had them in every single room apart from bathrrom/toilet. The one before had a building control map and it showed heat in kitchen, smoke in landings, hallways but not in the bedrooms. I paid about 360 for 6 smokes and 6 wireless bases

So maybe they dont need to be installed in every bedroom? Who do you think i could find out a definite answer off?

Depends if LD2 or LD3 is specified.
If is is LD3 then one on each floor within 3M of each bedroom plus one heat for kitchen, if LD2 put another one in for living room. No requirement for each bedroom.
If it cost more than 50 quid worth of time then use radio base, if less pull 3c+e through

This information is written in every leaflet with the aico alarms or by visiting their site - have you a way of accesseing google?

Depends if LD2 or LD3 is specified.
If is is LD3 then one on each floor within 3M of each bedroom plus one heat for kitchen, if LD2 put another one in for living room. No requirement for each bedroom.
If it cost more than 50 quid worth of time then use radio base, if less pull 3c+e through

This information is written in every leaflet with the aico alarms or by visiting their site - have you a way of accesseing google?

btw which bluearmy?

This type of post really worries me.....If this is student accommidation in a converted house then it needs to be licenced as so. The local fire officer and local council will decide the requirements needed and report as such. The ruling will be decided on the the amount of rooms and floors. Two floors will usually be graded as BS5839 Part 6 graded level D, Three floors or more will be graded Level A. Most councils will expect a full fire alarm installed, with heat detection in each bedroom, additional to this and seperate mains opperated smoke sensor will also be required in each bedroom.
The conclusion to this thread, is get the licence requirements off the council before guessing at what to install.

and they'll be forever sounding due to the smoke from all the pot smoking.

when I was in student halls of residence the fire alarm system was based around smoke detector heads (ionisation) in every corridor and hallway, at the top of each level of stairs and in all the tv and common rooms, there were sensors inside the rooms at the entry to each floor on the stairs, there were 2 rooms at each floor right next to the stairs separated from the rest of the floor by a swing door at either side, these were set aside as non- smoking rooms for non smoking students only.....there were smoke detector heads in each tv and common room, and heat detector heads in all of the student kitchens on each floor, the rest of the rooms were ok for smoking in at the time and had sounders only with no smoke detectors, which was years ago now, and you used to smell "special smoke" coming from the rooms when you walked past the closed doors lol ....I didn't smoke myself (still don't) but wasn't bothered if others did, used to get visitors from other rooms and other halls of residence visiting that smoked....
There used to be a terrible problem with people coming back in drunk at 3Am and breaking the call points, it got to the stage that it was happening several times every week and sometimes 2 or 3 times a night so 330+ people were stood on the street outside, fire extinguishers thrown out of windows onto the street, or sprayed all over the place......hose reels wheeled out down the lightwells and turned on....etc etc... that was my experience :p

The rules and regulations have changed now, students are not allowed to smoke inside any rooms in the halls of residence these days (I don't know if that counts for houses and flats split up for renting to students as well or just the large dedicated non-private student halls of residence) also as far as I know, the Universities would not get away with having large numbers of rooms without smoke alarm heads in them these days (i.e just sounder heads) I think each and every room in the whole building must have a smoke detector fitted.....

The only problem that you will find is that the students will come back in drunk in the early AM and bring people with them to drink, somebody will forget about the fire alarm and light up a cigarette.....
Covering with a carrier bag is an old trick.....sometimes people who have had a few drinks will try to pull the alarm head off of its base thinking that this will stop it from picking up smoke, but this just sets the alarm off anyway as the alarm panel gets a fault...
I have been in a hotel once when the alarm went off at 1Am, went to the room where the fault was, there was a drunk dude sleeping on the floor with a cigarette on the floor next to him and about 8 feet of red pyro hanging down from a hole in the ceiling minus the smoke detector....
Students might try to remove the detector heads.....so you need notices up on the back of room doors saying not to do that.....

Recently involved with a refurb of student accommodation over in Edinburgh. The spec for that job did say heat detector in every room (the rooms were quite small and they decided to install kitchens in each room). These must be interconnected so again as it was a complete refurb we pulled in the 3 core. As far as i am aware its all down to what the fire officer says as he is the one who will be issuing the safety certificate for the place.

The local licensing authorities for HMO's all seem to have differing requirements so it would be best to consult the local authority for their requirements

Some require sound levels at the bed head of 75 db to ensure that any one who is sleeping is woken so sounders may be needed in all rooms, difficult to give a definitive answer to this question really

Many thanks to everyone for replying on this topic. Im still no wiser however to the answer to the original question so as the last post said maybe there isnt a definite one. Any more help though, would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to Smoke alarms in student accomodation in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock