Discuss Smoke and heat alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I’ve bought a house which will be rented. The current rules in Scotland require new smoke detectors to be fitted. I have 2 hard wired ones already in the hall and landing but need a new one in the main living room. Can I add to the exsisting 2 or will the whole system need replacing? Can a heat sensor be added to this also? The house is only 4 years old. Thanks.

The Scottish regulations for private rented properties require a mains, interlinked smoke detector in the principal living area, heat in kitchen and smoke in hallway as a minimum.
OP - if you use the same make as existing, there is no reason you cannot add to what’s already there. Interlinking can be hard wired or wireless.
Don’t forget a CO detector if you have a gas appliance. This can be a battery supplied one.

Thanks. Already have a CO detector. Is it an easy job to link a new detector or will the wiring be a problem to interlink them?

If hard wired, a 3 core & earth cable is required between detectors ( live, neutral & signal wire). Easy/hard - depends on access for running cables!
You should also have the appropriate certification for the installation. It’s not a DIY job if the property is to be rented.

The Scottish regulations for private rented properties require a mains, interlinked smoke detector in the principal living area, heat in kitchen and smoke in hallway as a minimum.

Seems a bit OTT, especially if its next to the hall! - is this a legal requirement?

Why do you think you need one in the living room?

I think it is an interpretation of grade D LD2

LD2 - A system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the premises, and in all rooms or areas that present a high risk of fire to occupants

A living room is viewed to present a high risk of fire as it may contain a fire (either gas,electric,or solid fuel) and/or people smoking.

That's how I've always understood LD2 anyway. Hallway, landing, living room, and kitchen as a minimum in domestic situations. Maybe more if there are extended escape routes.

^^ fortunately LABC officers around here only want hall, landing and heat if the kitchen / diner is open plan.

I've also put one in our garage (as its below my sons bedroom) and one in the kids TV room - so we have 5 in total and in the rare event they go off, the noise is enough to wake the dead!

Live and learn something new everyday ....

Who actually "polices" this?

The local authority where a property is located. Private landlords are required to register with the LA before they can legally rent properties out to tenants.
In practice, it probably requires a tenant to complain before any shortfall in detectors would be picked up. Indeed I know of several properties where there is still no detection in place.
Personally, I couldn’t live with the guilt of a tenant suffering harm or worse because I couldn’t be arsed installing the required life safety system in one of my properties.

I had a discussion with an agent about a smoke detector in a front porch about the size of a postage stamp.

The same agent also told me they are obliged to report non compliant landlords.

Reply to Smoke and heat alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net