Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Smoke/Co alarm recommendations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. leep82

leep82 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    other than aico can anyone recommend any? Im looking for mains powered with battery back up and will require a combination of smoke, heat and Co detectors. Nothing against aico have used them many times amd will do again. The customers on a current job have asked about alternatives as they dont like the look of the aico detectors particularly in there brand spanking shiny new kitchen where i need a Co detector and a heat.

2. suffolkspark

suffolkspark Electrician's Arms

I believe the nest ones have optical and carbon monoxide built in, look niceish.

3. Andy5678

Andy5678 Electrician's Arms

Aico now do heat and co combined, so you could get away with one in the kitchen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    From my point of view if you want combined co2 and heat then its Aico all day long, safety comes first above decorative finish in my view. Also have to keep building control happy which might over ride any other consideration about aesthetics
    I did the Aico 'training' when the truck was in the wholesalers recently, and learnt some useful bits. its free so worth looking into. Coincidentally, By having my info on the Aico site, i have had 2 calls for alarms to be fitted. so worth it.
    Have a look at this
    Ei3028 Multi-Sensor Heat & CO Alarm - Aico - https://www.aico.co.uk/product/ei3028-multi-sensor-heat-co-alarm/

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    I wasnt aware that aico had a combined heat/Co anyone got any links. This would be a much better option as the other areas ( utility room, landing, hall and living room ) arnt finished to as high spec as the kitchen.

6. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Why dont you fit a battery co alarm.? This can be screwed to the wall discretely, i think ceiling is the worst place for a co alarm as its a heavier gas than oxygen the room would be full before the co alarm is detecting the danger.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    Wasnt aware of that. Ive got a useful little handbook from aico and they recommend the ceiling as opposed to a wall for mounting of Co alarms. Id still be left with having to mount a heat detector somewhere suitable on the ceiling.

8. Flash

Flash EF Member

Business Name:
    M&M Electrical
    If you look at the right hand side there is a link to aico under site supporters. aico are better looking than all the competitors.

9. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

I don't think that's right, but I don't use the 'disagree' button without reason.
    Propane, Butane and natural gas piped into homes is heavier than air, and sinks to the floor... Carbon monoxide is lighter than air and rises.
    The detector is there to find dangerous exhaust gasses, not the gas that is there being burned.

Why do you think chimneys rise vertically up?

10. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

If they're so worried about what it looks like why don't they put the heat detector in a cupboard then they can just open the cupboard when they're planning to have a fire :rolleyes:

Looking through google images of smoke detectors I reckon the new Aico range are the best-looking of the bunch, not that looks should be any kind of consideration when choosing something which is there to save lives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    As i mentioned go on the aico website and find the area sales person for your location, go spend an hour with them and get all the useful books and watch the training video, will more than pay for itself with what you learn. i am glad i did it.

12. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    Looks like i’ll be sticking with aico. I wasnt aware the multi sensor heat and Co was available, and having two seperate devices would have looked awful.

13. leep82

Business Name:
    L.M.P Electrical
    Sat in on one of these a few months ago at a local training provider. Got some good info, i seem to remember at the time the combined detector wasnt available

14. Adam W

Adam W Electrician's Arms

The combined CO and heat is new, as per the advert to the top right of the page...

15. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Out if interest does the heat and CO have different alarm sounds?