• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A14n

-
Reaction score
Hi just a question, this morning I noticed a 2 gang socket had no power to it, went to check the fuse box/electric meter in the cupboard... and there was a lot of smoke coming out from somewhere? Its not smoking any more. The 2 way gang socket is completely dead. All other outlets seem fine and not affected.

What would be the problem? Is this an expensive job, still waiting to here back from an electrician.

Thanks

Everything from that socket is disconnected. I can't really turn off the power as I have a tropical aquarium. Still awaiting electrician... Noticed the smoke several hours ago now, nothing has happened since.

Everything from that socket is disconnected. I can't really turn off the power as I have a tropical aquarium. Still awaiting electrician... Noticed the smoke several hours ago now, nothing has happened since.
Up to you Mate but what would you rather have a burnt house or live Fish, a no Brainer in my mind switch the juice OFF. Can you smell dead fish no pun intended that's what an electrical fire smells like

Edited :)
The smoke is toxic, so get plenty of fresh air in. Switch off your isolator so you will be safe until the Electrician arrives.
don't use an electric fan to blow the smoke away use natural ventilation open windows
Or be prepared and make some batter because if you don't turn off you might need it for the fish.
best get some chips out also they go quite well

If you turn the power off your fish might die.
If you don't turn the power off it could start a fire, in which your fish die and you loose all of your possessions and potentially could also be seriously injured along with the rest of your family.

Electrician is coming tomorrow morning now :/. Not had any issues so far since the smoke minus the dead sockets!

I also have a landing light that hasn't worked for years, will get him to look at that also. Its on 2x light switches one upstairs and one at the bottom of the stairs... God knows what's wrong with that?

Electrician is coming tomorrow morning now :/. Not had any issues so far since the smoke minus the dead sockets!

I also have a landing light that hasn't worked for years, will get him to look at that also. Its on 2x light switches one upstairs and one at the bottom of the stairs... God knows what's wrong with that?
Switch off for the night mate, not worth the risk. It's hardly going to drop below 15 degrees tonight, cant see your fish freezing, or run a lead from next door if that's possible.

As everybody has said turn it off, especially if you got children in the house. too great a risk.

Would be nice if the OP returns and updates us. pictures of the offending article in the CU, if that is the cause would be good to see aswell.
Wonder who fitted the CU and age of install? Surprised we don't hear of more problems like this to be honest, given the serious risks and the number of right shoddy and outright dangerous installs out there i am surprised there are not more house fires. as this was the premise on switching to metal clad CU's.... there is an awful lot of plastic ones out there still.

Reply to Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back