Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. A14n

A14n Active EF Member

Hi just a question, this morning I noticed a 2 gang socket had no power to it, went to check the fuse box/electric meter in the cupboard... and there was a lot of smoke coming out from somewhere? Its not smoking any more. The 2 way gang socket is completely dead. All other outlets seem fine and not affected.

What would be the problem? Is this an expensive job, still waiting to here back from an electrician.

Thanks

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Needs sorting ASAP When did you notice the smoke, most likely a loose connection, advice switch OFF everything at the consumers unit (fuse box) and await the sparkie

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

Get someone in ASAP you could have a serious fire risk on your hands. Sounds like a poor connection which has overheated enough to burn the insulation. I would isolate it if possible.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. A14n

A14n Active EF Member

Everything from that socket is disconnected. I can't really turn off the power as I have a tropical aquarium. Still awaiting electrician... Noticed the smoke several hours ago now, nothing has happened since.

5. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Up to you Mate but what would you rather have a burnt house or live Fish, a no Brainer in my mind switch the juice OFF. Can you smell dead fish no pun intended that's what an electrical fire smells like

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Edited :)
    The smoke is toxic, so get plenty of fresh air in. Switch off your isolator so you will be safe until the Electrician arrives.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. 7029 dave

7029 dave Trusted Advisor

As^^^ turn OFF immediately.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. onions1066

onions1066 Electrician's Arms

Or be prepared and make some batter because if you don't turn off you might need it for the fish.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. marc8

marc8 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    MTS Electrical Ltd
    don't use an electric fan to blow the smoke away use natural ventilation open windows
    best get some chips out also they go quite well

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    None
    Not the last lot I had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

If you turn the power off your fish might die.
    If you don't turn the power off it could start a fire, in which your fish die and you loose all of your possessions and potentially could also be seriously injured along with the rest of your family.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Shame the OP hasn't updated us, despite viewing this thread a short while ago......

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    could it be his smart meter having a crafty fag while the supplier is out for lunch, not monitoring said smart meter?

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    It's the back up system when it loses internet connection, it reverts to sending smoke signals. :D

• Funny Funny x 6
  15. A14n

A14n Active EF Member

Electrician is coming tomorrow morning now :/. Not had any issues so far since the smoke minus the dead sockets!

I also have a landing light that hasn't worked for years, will get him to look at that also. Its on 2x light switches one upstairs and one at the bottom of the stairs... God knows what's wrong with that?