Discuss Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That head looks pretty new, I'd guess the old overheads may have been replaced and a PME system put in their place.

That fuseboard is a genuine antique, I don't think I've ever seen one made by the BI company before (later BICC)

I take it the installer of the teleswitch was aiming for the longest possible cable route! Or do they not work properly the other way around... Those fuseboards are cool, I wish there were more around, there are photos of another one on this forum somewhere.

That head looks pretty new, I'd guess the old overheads may have been replaced and a PME system put in their place.

That fuseboard is a genuine antique, I don't think I've ever seen one made by the BI company before (later BICC)

A google told me that BI and Callendars merged in 1945 !! Would that make this fellas board before that ?

This is the oldest one of this type I have seen before. Got invited to quote for a swap but they decided against it in the end.
2016-07-18 07.57.34.jpg 2016-07-18 07.57.27.jpg 2016-07-18 07.57.18.jpg

There are people out there that pay good money for old vintage CU's switches etc... there was an autistic bloke at a carboot once with a box full of them. turns out he religiously collects old kit. He pays silly money for some of it too. Thought nothing of paying £50 for a battered old rare switch unit! not seen him since. Have also seen people put them on walls once painted to original finish as decorative items on bare walls. all part of some rustic look!

There's nought queer as folk!
There are people out there that pay good money for old vintage CU's switches etc... there was an autistic bloke at a carboot once with a box full of them. turns out he religiously collects old kit. He pays silly money for some of it too. Thought nothing of paying £50 for a battered old rare switch unit! not seen him since. Have also seen people put them on walls once painted to original finish as decorative items on bare walls. all part of some rustic look!

A google told me that BI and Callendars merged in 1945 !! Would that make this fellas board before that ?

This is the oldest one of this type I have seen before. Got invited to quote for a swap but they decided against it in the end.
View attachment 36829 View attachment 36828 View attachment 36827

Looking at the labels I would guess at it being after the merger.

That's the first time I've seen that kind of arrangement where the electricity board kit and the consumers kit match. In the old books I've got I've read about a situation where electricity boards would supply and fit a main switch etc, and I guess your pics is what they're referring to

In Newport, these were standard throughout the Borough
When fitting a new consumer unit,the cut out and isolator were left intact,the fuse board removed and the new tails were precariously and magically somehow bent and twisted to make the connection back into the isolator,not a pretty sight

Thousands of them were and still are, as far as I know, still in service

Looking at the labels I would guess at it being after the merger.

That's the first time I've seen that kind of arrangement where the electricity board kit and the consumers kit match. In the old books I've got I've read about a situation where electricity boards would supply and fit a main switch etc, and I guess your pics is what they're referring to

I meant was the OP's board a pre-merger one ?

Yeah I've only seen a couple of these "all-in-one" arrangements before.
Most historic incomers in my area are a green painted cast head with no proper provision for earth, although in a lot of cases an earthing conductor has been lugged (or wrapped) onto one of the bolts that holds the head together, usually for a great reading.

I meant was the OP's board a pre-merger one ?

Yeah I've only seen a couple of these "all-in-one" arrangements before.
Most historic incomers in my area are a green painted cast head with no proper provision for earth, although in a lot of cases an earthing conductor has been lugged (or wrapped) onto one of the bolts that holds the head together, usually for a great reading.

Looking at the logo it's the same BI callenders logo so I guess a similar age. If it was much earlier it would have had DP fuseing I think.

Now cast iron heads I'm a little more familiar with, I've got the manual with full fitting instructions for WT Henleys ISCO gear from 1940. They should have had either a wiped gland, lead come gland, or a clamp onto the lead inside the sealing chamber. Then an earth conductor was connected to one of the screws on the sealing chamber.

If I can work out posting pictures from my phone I'll put some up.

Ok so this is how it looks now... Took him 4 hours finished about 10pm. The 2 gang socket now works.... But now another 2 gang socket is dead! What's going on? Guess he didn't do a proper job. The defunct landing light.... He said there's just 24 volts going through that cable. He's coming back to do that another day...

IMG_20170615_014716891.jpg

IMG_20170615_014726438.jpg

IMG_20170615_014741069.jpg

Reply to Smoke coming from electric meter/fuse box area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net