Discuss Smoke/heat alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

currie123

Hi does anyone know of a reason why different makes of smoke and heat alarms can't be interconnected ?

I have several jobs of installing them adding to existing smoke alarms and I haven't been near to the jobs to check the brand already installed? I planned to fit aico .

Thanks

Because they are interlink by different methods...but they all used the same method of power and signaling, so if you replace all for Aico there will not be a problem.

Hi does anyone know of a reason why different makes of smoke and heat alarms can't be interconnected ?

I have several jobs of installing them adding to existing smoke alarms and I haven't been near to the jobs to check the brand already installed? I planned to fit aico .

Thanks
I was recommended to use AICO detectors by several members here.....so must be good!

Ok I understand that but If existing was for example BRK similar to the ones screwfix sell can aico ones be added without the existing being replaced?

Should not be a major problem...as most dwellings will have only 2 smokes in the circulation areas and possibly a heat in the kitchen

no you must replace all within the dwelling

slightly of subject here.......what is the recommended life time span of smokes / heats detectors? Mine were installed when house was built some 20 yrs ago. I've been here 10 yrs and they still work when dinners been cooked! Any ideas?

slightly of subject here.......what is the recommended life time span of smokes / heats detectors? Mine were installed when house was built some 20 yrs ago. I've been here 10 yrs and they still work when dinners been cooked! Any ideas?

Most have "expiry" dates on them some where!

Most have "expiry" dates on them some where!
Think I should have a look. I did an extension to my own house a fair bit back, whereby I now have a long landing. Existing smoke on landing remained. I recently learnt on reading a document that smokes should be so sited that they are within 3m of all bedroom doors. An additional one is required.

Think I should have a look. I did an extension to my own house a fair bit back, whereby I now have a long landing. Existing smoke on landing remained. I recently learnt on reading a document that smokes should be so sited that they are within 3m of all bedroom doors. An additional one is required.
A smoke detector has a radius of 7.5 meters, well within most hallways and landings...this equals 10m x 10m squared or 100sq meters. The 3 meter rule is for sound pressure at 3 meters from a bedroom door. My last measurement of a Aico detector was 96 db at aprox 1 meter from the detector, loader than most commercial base detectors. So unless you live in a mansion, with its landing more than 100 sq meters, you don`t need to worry

I fitted 4 Aico rf units today and they work a treat,seem louder than firex.
Ahh but as fitter did you actually measure the db level ...?
It is worth investing in a sound pressure meter, they are not expensive, about £35-40 pounds from Maplin etc...will give you the ability to mark own your average reading on you part 6 cert, as required

Last edited:

Reply to Smoke/heat alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net