Discuss smokes building inspector in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

eganelectrical

Just rewiring a house which has been gutted and had a new extension on back and side. Smokes are wired in hall down, hall up, attic top floor and a heat in kitchen all interlinked. The building inspector just came and said we need a smoke in every room in the house apart from bathrooms and en suits or other option is to get fire doors!! Is this right??

ditto..

Ask to see a building control guy who knows what he's on about. Failing that ask him to show you the requirement for this overkill in any recognised publication

As soon as the is a loft conversion or extention which now makes a room onto a room which the leads to the old circulation area or escape route, Then Building regs request that precautions are made to incease fire/smoke saftey. If this was a normal new build then just circulation areas would be protected. (so the circulation areas upstairs and downstairs have change) Hope this makes sense

I may be wrong but I think that it you add a third storey to a house then you need either a protected stairway, i.e. fire doors, or an alternative exit from the third storey. Could it be that he is allowing you to get away with not having fire doors if you fit smoke alarms in every room instead?

Yep just doing same here....

It's adding the loft conversion that is causing the issue.

3 bed semi, loft conversion just finished. Now 3 habital floors.

Originally put in 3 smokes interlinked hall, landing FF, landing 2F.

But customer has gone and brought their own doors now which are not fire rated (good for me ££.)

So I'm back friday.... to add the following:

smoke in loft room (office)/2F,
smokes in 3 x beds/FF
smoke lounge/GF
heat kitchen/GF

This was specified by the building inspector (builder forwarded me a copy of the email from building control.)

Cheers

Sy

I may be wrong but I think that it you add a third storey to a house then you need either a protected stairway, i.e. fire doors, or an alternative exit from the third storey. Could it be that he is allowing you to get away with not having fire doors if you fit smoke alarms in every room instead?

This is what the inspector is trying to achieve...to protect the escape routes from fire/smoke for 30 mis by fire doors or to fit smokes for early warning and rapid evacuation. If he thinks the risk in the attic was serve, he would also ask for an escape ladder.

Perhaps interlinked smoke alarms are actually better than fire doors because they give early warning of a fire downstairs, that might block escape from the third floor via the stairs, whereas fire doors in a house typically get propped open or closers get removed or doors replaced once the building inspector has gone.

He has said that either fire doors or a smoke in every room! Looks like it is something to do with the attic room! But how the hell are we meant to know this! He turns up after the ceilings are plastered upstairs and above that is the new loft with no access into the eves!! Surely he should have stated this during first fix inspection of cable routes! Boo hoo
Thanks for comments and if there are any more experiences of this please keep them coming :)

Aico Ei405TY - 10year plus wireless interconnecting. Battery outlasts life of unit rendering the requirement for mains a moot one. Not cheap - getting on for a ton.

He has said that either fire doors or a smoke in every room! Looks like it is something to do with the attic room! But how the hell are we meant to know this! He turns up after the ceilings are plastered upstairs and above that is the new loft with no access into the eves!! Surely he should have stated this during first fix inspection of cable routes! Boo hoo
Thanks for comments and if there are any more experiences of this please keep them coming :)
That is a bit unfair, this should have been made clear from the begining of the job. What made of detection is install at this time

Aico Ei405TY - 10year plus wireless interconnecting. Battery outlasts life of unit rendering the requirement for mains a moot one. Not cheap - getting on for a ton.

do we need to go to an isolator before we go to the smoke as the regs say that if you use this method then you need to be able to isolate smokes without disturbing the light circuit?

do we need to go to an isolator before we go to the smoke as the regs say that if you use this method then you need to be able to isolate smokes without disturbing the light circuit?

This one is irrelevant as it is completely wireless, as in no mains.

as for an isolator, well, you can unclip the smoke alarm with a screwdriver and slide it off the mount plate without powering down

Reply to smokes building inspector in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock