Discuss So.. Can you get better than a Kwik Fit Fitter? I think so! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy-1960

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My wife rang me on Saturday with a message .. help I have a puncture - flagged up by the cars on board computer.
She has a 18 month old Audi, so as the tyre had not gone completely down and looked normal she managed to make it home.
As it was after 6pm and all garages are closed, I called Audi Assist and the AA turned up, the technician found it was only a slow puncture caused by a screw, but said it would have been flat by morning, so he did a temporary repair, stressing that a proper repair must be done within 100 miles.
We took it to Kwik Fit on Sunday, after finding out about temporary repair and without even looking, the fitter immediately said “its a new tyre mate!”
The AA man had warned me about statements from garages such as these as they are just after tyre sales.
I told the Kwik Fit fitter to forget it.
Today, I took the car to a little garage that we use at work and they repaired the tyre without question.
After they had completed the work, I told the guy what Kwik Fit had said, he was disgusted, he said “there was absolutely nothing wrong with repairing that tyre, they are just after a sale, this is Kwik Fit policy”
So, I thought I would let you guys know.. you definitely can get better than a Kwik Fit fitter! - Avoid

I remember taking a lad from work to a Kwik fit near the site.....they did repair his tyre, but it cost over £30 by the time they add the extras on...thing is we jacked up his car (he had no spare), took the wheel in my car to them! So they had less to do!
Any garage that has a reception, free coffee, free wifi are best avoided IMO

They do it all the time , most of there MOT failures are what they specialize in , eg shockers .

Had a Kwik-Fit quote for about £750 to get my car through an MOT

Friend of a friend who is a mechanic fixed it up and got it tested for £160. He replaced leaky rear brake cylinder and one worn tyre, but said that their diagnosis of front wheel alignment (both wheels), replacing 3 tyres (not even advisaries according to him), both front brake discs (he said they looked almost brand new)

There was other things as well that I cannot remember but will be sure not to utilise a company like Kwik Fit again

Kwik Fit on the drive are about 30% cheaper, book it online with the exact tyre type and make they turn up, fit the tyres, no hard sell and bugger off.

Wouldn't grace Kwik-fart with my presence,and a Black Jack kit in the toolbox,ensures it stays that way.

Costco are awesome for tyres...repair them now too.

I suppose it's on an individual branch basis,but a few years back,i had a major issue at our local Costco.

I took a 4 x 4 Vauxall Brava in,for 4 new tyres,and told the fitter,i would slacken and torque the nuts myself. This is because they stretch when over tightened,as do a lot of the Japanese studs,not needing as much dogging up,as a 1970's Bedford...

There are 6 studs and nuts,on each wheel,and they are £70 a wheel set,fitting excluded. The fitter,then the manager told me i could not,due to H&S blah blah,so i asked to have them done by hand...and even pay extra...nope,we use the windy-gun for both,and check only final tightening,with the torque wrench.

I did pre-warn of the consequences,and was...shall we say...less than impressed,when the first nut he dropped on,sheared clean off :(

The pair of them got verbally flayed,up and down the workshop...now,apparently,i could slacken and tighten them myself,by hand,which only made his original instructions more worthless.

The remaining 23 all come off and went back fine,and i had an hour an £12 more,to add to the day's carry-on :rolleyes:

I booked on line to get a couple of new tyres fitted to the front of an old car. Paid on the net and turned up for my appointment, drove off with two lovely boots on and happy with their work.

Got home and there's an email waiting for me stating that they were sorry I had cancelled my order and payment would be refunded to my account within five working days... :D

Once had a puncture a while after having new set fitted at Kwik-Fit. Couldn't undo wheel nut, so called AA. He had a four length of scaffolding pipe on his wheel brace, and had to jump up and down 9n it before he could loosen them. Took car back next day to Kwik Fit, got them to re- torque nuts, broke his socket bar on first one! Manager agreed to re-do them by hand, tried to get new set out of them, but no luck. Also can't understand why nitrogen is better than air to inflate tyres.

Once had a puncture a while after having new set fitted at Kwik-Fit. Couldn't undo wheel nut, so called AA. He had a four length of scaffolding pipe on his wheel brace, and had to jump up and down 9n it before he could loosen them. Took car back next day to Kwik Fit, got them to re- torque nuts, broke his socket bar on first one! Manager agreed to re-do them by hand, tried to get new set out of them, but no luck. Also can't understand why nitrogen is better than air to inflate tyres.
You were lucky the studs didn't shear!

Possibly nitrogen is more stable during temperature changes,it's inert,and increases bragging rights,and smugness.

Personally,my old Patrol,has the tyres inflated with fairy breath - it's pure,rare,and magical.

Our walking dragline jibs were filled with nitrogen and kept at an even pressure and would not migrate unless cracks were appearing in the structure. That's a shortened version lol.

A few years ago we were issued with Hilux pick ups which had a special back fitted. I had to collect it from the firm doing the conversion, and was shown all the controls etc. I asked where the spare wheel was, and was told bon were fitted, as we hadn't been trained to change a wheel, yes the old 'elf and safety! When I asked what we would do if we had a puncture, the answer was you phone up Kwik Fit. I said I would get one of the instant repair kits.
" Oh you can't use them, they ruin the tyre".
" It will ruin the tyre when I drive 10 miles to somewhere I can get a phone signal" ( I covered the Lake District) The one time I did get a puncture it took 3 hours for them to get me going, not Kwik Fit by then.

Reply to So.. Can you get better than a Kwik Fit Fitter? I think so! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock