• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss So what’s the script with these AFFDs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
been doing some poking about on the 18th and came across something about AFFDs is this gonna be something else that we are going to have to sell to our customers when all they want to do is add a couple of sockets to an existing RFC? Like the inevitable I want 4 new sockets, no problem but as the latest version of the regs requires that all socket outlets are RCD protected, your going to need to add RCDs/RCBOs or do a consumer unit change oh and now it’s gonna cost you more because it’ll need AFFDs too. At which point most people reply f**k sake mate only wanted 4 sockets put in not a complete upgrade then of course dodgy Dave comes in at your back and fits the 4 sockets cause he doesn’t give 2 flying F***s and it works for ever and ever and ever. I’m all for upgrading to higher safety standards etc but customers think your taking the p***s trying to rope them into work they don’t need. Where does the madness end??!!

Oh and btw I quite like these Eaton AFFDs
what do yous all think? And I wonder in what circumstances it would tell you to call your electrician? Maybe only when it’s faulty as the orange light seems to tell you there is a fault

We were discussing this in another thread.

The below is pinched from @Midwest post #66.

Beama have produced a guide for AFDD's (Nov 2017), for those not seen it.

It says 'It is recommended that special measures be taken to protect against the effects of arc faults in final circuits:
• in premises with sleeping accommodation;
• in locations with risks of fire due to the nature of processed or
stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations, (e.g. barns, woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials);
• in locations with combustible constructional materials,
.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings);
• in fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations;

• in locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

And 'In order to implement the technical intent of the HD, Bs 7671 18th Edition will include requirements covering the use of AFDDs however the actual requirements and final wording will not be available until publication of the 18th Edition in July 2018.

Now it all depends on your interpretation of 'sleeping accommodation' if it is for domestic.
The Oxford dictionary states accommodation is "A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay"
Sounds like domestic to me.

As you say, if that is true for domestic then people are doing to loose lots of work if one is required for adding/moving a couple of sockets.

We were discussing this in another thread.

The below is pinched from @Midwest post #66.

Beama have produced a guide for AFDD's (Nov 2017), for those not seen it.

It says 'It is recommended that special measures be taken to protect against the effects of arc faults in final circuits:
• in premises with sleeping accommodation;
• in locations with risks of fire due to the nature of processed or
stored materials, i.e. BE2 locations, (e.g. barns, woodworking shops, stores of combustible materials);
• in locations with combustible constructional materials,
.e. CA2 locations (e.g. wooden buildings);
• in fire propagating structures, i.e. CB2 locations;
• in locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods.

And 'In order to implement the technical intent of the HD, Bs 7671 18th Edition will include requirements covering the use of AFDDs however the actual requirements and final wording will not be available until publication of the 18th Edition in July 2018.

Now it all depends on your interpretation of 'sleeping accommodation' if it is for domestic.
The Oxford dictionary states accommodation is "A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay"
Sounds like domestic to me.

As you say, if that is true for domestic then people are doing to loose lots of work if one is required for adding/moving a couple of sockets.

I did have a quick scout about but couldn’t see any other threads mentioning it could you post a link or give me the name of it so I could have a gander?

Either to some nugget who won’t be concerned about applying the regs or the customer may decide they don’t actually need the work because of the extras involved either way you’ve lost the work

Or just ignore the ill thought out ideas of AFFD’s and carry on ......

If the IET want to implement regs like this, they are simply undermine what they stand for .......

These devices have been around a few years because they were a requirement in the American legislation....or maybe Canadian.. can't remember now. They're known as AFI's which in arc fault interruptors or CAFI's or some other series of letters ending in 'AFI'.

The theory is great but in practice all examples of AFI devices I've come across have been either skittish as all hell and nuisance trip or undersensitive and don't trip at all. That said it was a couple of years ago I had a run-in with them on a spec we got for a panel we were building so maybe they've got better since then. (January in 2014 to be specific)

Or just ignore the ill thought out ideas of AFFD’s and carry on ......

If the IET want to implement regs like this, they are simply undermine what they stand for .......
I’m not quite sure I get your thinking on this? Why do you think it’s an I’ll conceived idea and then if you do ignore it and something goes ti*s up how would you justify not installing it against the guidance of the regs in court etc I’m not trying to criticise I’m just wondering about your thinking on this.

It's gonna get interesting when you've actually got to go hunting for an arc fault that's causing tripping....every week there's at least a couple of threads about someone struggling to find an RCD tripping fault... we're probably going to need a full forum section dedicated to AFI faults. :tearsofjoy:

It's gonna get interesting when you've actually got to go hunting for an arc fault that's causing tripping....every week there's at least a couple of threads about someone struggling to find an RCD tripping fault... we're probably going to need a full forum section dedicated to AFI faults. :tearsofjoy:
Or a sh*tload more expensive instrumentation just to find the faults ourselves I can’t even begin to fathom how you would find it on say a socket circuit with a fault caused by mice under the floor Or something that damages the cable like pulling in without using something that could pinpoint it or roughly set out an area or strip back all the cabling on the circuit to find it or rip out and rewire it sure would make for some interesting days:coldsweat:

I really don't understand why the UK regs are getting a hard-on for these things, even the good ones don't work properly on ring circuits of any kind.

I really don't understand why the UK regs are getting a hard-on for these things, even the good ones don't work properly on ring circuits of any kind.
I hadn’t even thought that about ring circuits confusing the living daylights out of them that should be interesting or maybe if they implement the AFFDs theyll do away with rings and everything will be radials:rolleyes:o_O maybe I should see if I can chip in with the IET that could be enough to warrant publishing AMD 1 to the 18th

Or a sh*tload more expensive instrumentation just to find the faults ourselves ...
Yes, it probably will come down to needing very expensive test equipment. To detect an arc fault you need a digital waveform analyser kinda similar to an oscilloscope but with more micro-processing intelligence built in.

I don't keep up with the bleeding edge of this type of technology so I'd need to do some reading up but as far as I know you'd need to convert a ring to a radial if you want to detect series arc faults. It should still detect parallel arc faults though on a ring final circuit.

That’s easy to answer ..... the IET are struggling to justify the unrealistically regular updates to the regs....... so they grasp at straws like this ......

There are only so many changes that make any logical sense, and AFFD’s are not one of them

What regs do you follow?

Reply to So what’s the script with these AFFDs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back