• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Socket and switch heights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys

I’m preparing to carry out a rewire myself on a home I have just moved into. It’s a 1930s semi. And looks like it has had a rewire in the past (black and red colours - pvc cable) Id say I’m competent to carry out the work as I am a qualified industrial maintenance electrician however I don’t have relevant domestic quals. I’ve done a lot of reading on regs etc and noticed socket heights and switches need to be of a certain height from the ground. Currently the sockets in the house sit just above the skirting board. As I am carrying out the re wire do the heights need to be adjusted to the new regs or can they be kept the heights they currently are? I will be getting the work tested afterwards and don’t want it to be picked up on after work has already been carried out

Thanks

the specified heights apply only to new build to allow for use by disabled persons with limited reach. .you can fit the sockets and switches wherever you want on a rewire. ( bearing in mind that they should be easy to use for you and your family ). the most usual cock-up is Consumer Units fitted in silly places. Personally, I'd not for sockets below 12" from floor level. when you get to my age, you'll see why ( back aching bending).

New installation, addition or alterations must be to current standard. Your rewire constitutes a new installation. Good on you for using the Regs.
to current BS7671. this does not insist on minimun heights, that's a building reg. and as i said in post#2, applies only to new builds.

Existing properties can be at what ever height you want ..... but in bedrooms I tend to suggest higher than "existing" to make them easier to use ...

How do you differtiate between new properties and new installations? Where your EICR asks the age of the installation do you put Victorian, Tudor, Edwardian etc or, say, 25 years meaning the age of the electrical installation not the age of the property.

So a complete rewire is logically a NEW ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION is it not?

A rewire would be an alteration to an existing installation as the supply is already there and has been in use.

I would only call an installation new when a new supply has been installed by the DNO and you're starting from scratch.

as in:

I'm not picking a fight, just trying to make sense of it. Would you describe it as a new installation, addition or alteration? It will need an EIC on completion, which would need stated departures, limitations and possibly risk assessments if complete compliance is not met.

That is my thinking and I welcome clarification if I am wrong.

totally wrong. it's not a new build, so part m does not apply.

I'm not picking a fight, just trying to make sense of it. Would you describe it as a new installation, addition or alteration? It will need an EIC on completion, which would need stated departures, limitations and possibly risk assessments if complete compliance is not met.

That is my thinking and I welcome clarification if I am wrong.
On a rewire there should be no departures or limitations.

This is an alteration.

As this is domestic then the only risk assessment you'll need is for overvoltage protection in the 18th edition.

In domestic you would be very hard pushed not to be fully compliant.

Going back to original poster, this quote might make you feel more confident,

"The guidance given in Approved Document M applies to all new dwellings. Note that if a dwelling is rewired, there is no requirement to provide the measures described above (refers to heights of switches and socket outlets) providing that upon completion the building is no worse in terms of the level of compliance with the other Parts of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations".

That was taken from the IET's Electricians Guides to the Building Regulations. Pretty clear cut.

The way I see it is, for an existing dwelling,

1) Don't make it worse. (eg - don't start adding sockets into skirting boards - why would anyone do that?).
2) If a major refurbishment is going on, that is to say that every wall is back to brick and every socket/switch etc and backbox is either new or requires re-locating - with a full scope of re-plastering planned, then it's difficult to justify NOT complying with Part M. (This maybe my personal opinion - but I'm sure I have read that somewhere - just can't find it right now - anyone?)
3) If the locations of the sockets/switches do not comply with Part M, but are otherwise in sensible/safe location (eg not over a draining board/sink and not too close to a floor,worktop, hob etc.), and if minimum disruption to paint and plaster is needed, then you can re-use them without fear of non-compliance.
4) Any new building work such as extensions or loft/garage conversions must comply with Part M (and other building regs).

Hope this helps. :)

The way I see it is, for an existing dwelling,

1) Don't make it worse. (eg - don't start adding sockets into skirting boards - why would anyone do that?).

Agree

2) If a major refurbishment is going on, that is to say that every wall is back to brick and every socket/switch etc and back box is either new or requires re-locating - with a full scope of re-plastering planned, then it's difficult to justify NOT complying with Part M. (This maybe my personal opinion - but I'm sure I have read that somewhere - just can't find it right now - anyone?)

Disagree - its not a new build

3) If the locations of the sockets/switches do not comply with Part M, but are otherwise in sensible/safe location (eg not over a draining board/sink and not too close to a floor,worktop, hob etc.), and if minimum disruption to paint and plaster is needed, then you can re-use them without fear of non-compliance.

Common sense applies

4) Any new building work such as extensions or loft/garage conversions must comply with Part M (and other building regs).

Disagree .......................

Hope this helps. :)

My comments in itallic above

Reply to Socket and switch heights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back