Discuss Socket extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davem

Hi gents quick question need to extend a socket but obviously cable to short is best way to simply crimp cables and insulation tape them, bearing in mind there going to buried in plaster ??

stagger the crimps and use heat shrink over each core, then over shrink the lot to reinstate the sheath. forget the insulation tape. that's bodging in the first degree. stand in the naughty corner for 12 hour.

Socket part of ring can't pull a new leg cause customer don't want any floor boards taking up don't even know about the heat shrinking tubing cheers guys

Dave, with the greatest respect you should ask more questions, especially about this......unless you are heading down the bodge it and scarper channel

Pull the cable back to where an accessible Junction box can be placed and extend the cable that way. I wouldn't bury any connections of any kind in plaster. It states somewhere in the regs about access to connections I think! It's a little bit more work and making good etc good practice.

an alternative solution would be to extend the cable/s in the existing socket back box and fit a blank plate over it. that way the connection is accessible for inspection.

Ok guys what it is customer wants a socket moving from standard socket height up the wall behind there TV hopefully the leg for the socket drops from upstairs that way I can simply move cable and reposition if not I need to extend up wall. However customer doesn't want any flooring taking up so a junction box isn't possible that's why I asked about extension ?

Don't let the customer talk you into bodging it. If they insist on a **** job walk away. There's plenty of cowboys out there who will take your place. They'll end up with some buried connector blocks or some s**t like that. But without your name to it!

Ok guys what it is customer wants a socket moving from standard socket height up the wall behind there TV hopefully the leg for the socket drops from upstairs that way I can simply move cable and reposition if not I need to extend up wall. However customer doesn't want any flooring taking up so a junction box isn't possible that's why I asked about extension ?
so just come off the existing socket outlet....and run the new leg up to the new proposed outlet...

check the existing outlet and if its already a spur then just run the new leg through an FCU....

- - - Updated - - -

Simplest answer is to leave the existing socket in situ, and spur off "up" the wall for the new socket.
just got there first....lol..

so just come off the existing socket outlet....and run the new leg up to the new proposed outlet...

check the existing outlet and if its already a spur then just run the new leg through an FCU....

- - - Updated - - -

just got there first....lol..
They want the socket moving but if it's not possible this couble be best solution. Cheers

think he said the existing socket is on the RFC.not spurred.

Reply to Socket extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net