Discuss Socket Facia Interchangability in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I recently asked an electrician to change my 2-gang socket to a 4-gang socket and help hide the sky tv cable. The results I got weren’t really what I was hoping for so I’m now trying to tidy-up the area. He essentially left a hole in the wall where the sky cable was threaded behind the plasterboard and added a new 2-gang socket next to the existing one. Unfortunately the combination of the hole and the two different styles of socket look pretty messy - I’ll try and attach a picture. I’m paying for Sky to come and put a new cable in as this one is jammed, so once that is done I can just cut-off the existing one and patch-up the hole. But what I’d really like to do is change the old socket to match the new one. It’s a Hager and I’ve found a match on amazon, but my question is... will I be able to screw the new facia onto the existing box or whatever you call the bit in the wall? In other words, how likely is it that the fixing holes will be in exactly the same place? Or will I be looking at having to put a new box into the recess as well?

A4C615F1-A421-4595-B1B2-081EE07D56FB.jpeg

Hi. I recently asked an electrician to change my 2-gang socket to a 4-gang socket and help hide the sky tv cable. The results I got weren’t really what I was hoping for so I’m now trying to tidy-up the area. He essentially left a hole in the wall where the sky cable was threaded behind the plasterboard and added a new 2-gang socket next to the existing one. Unfortunately the combination of the hole and the two different styles of socket look pretty messy - I’ll try and attach a picture. I’m paying for Sky to come and put a new cable in as this one is jammed, so once that is done I can just cut-off the existing one and patch-up the hole. But what I’d really like to do is change the old socket to match the new one. It’s a Hager and I’ve found a match on amazon, but my question is... will I be able to screw the new facia onto the existing box or whatever you call the bit in the wall? In other words, how likely is it that the fixing holes will be in exactly the same place? Or will I be looking at having to put a new box into the recess as well?

View attachment 44717
was his name stevie wonder?

View attachment 44717

If the Sky cable hasn't been damaged by whatever it is jammed against, you could always fit a back box and wall plate to connect to and save running another cable in. Hager probably do a version too.

Wall Plate F-TYPE Twin Outlet Dual Plug Socket AE0098 - http://www.systemsat.co.uk/wall-plates/wall-plate-f-type-twin-outlet-dual-plug-socket-ae0098.html?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~166213517900~kw~~mt~~cmp~BP%20%7C%20Shopping%20-%20All%20Products~ag~All%20Products&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-70mtn43QIV4bvtCh2NCwDeEAQYBSABEgKXRvD_BwE

Thanks. Those F-Type plates are exactly what I had bought and asked him to fit. In his defence I had originally only asked him to quote for fitting the sockets but I’d rather have run the cable along the skirting board than have it disappear into a hole like I have right now. Anyway, a Sky engineer is coming today to fit a new cable so that hole will be sorted. But before I set about patching and repainting the wall, I want to change the old socket so it matches the new one. Does anybody know if the screw holes are a set/universal spacing or would I need to put a new box in the wall to fit a different facia? Facia might not be the right word, I mean the two plug sockets - the one on the right in the photo is the old tatty one. Any idea why he wouldn’t have just fitted a 4 gang socket - which is what I was actually expecting.

Hi Chris,

Unless they are non-standard faceplates (which they do not appear to be), the screw spacing is standard. What might cause you a problem is the lack of a gap between the two faceplates.

A 4 gang socket does not (to my knowledge at least) exist in a form suitable for use in domestic properties. Two 2 gang outlets is a better proposition providing they have been installed correctly.

Those are poor unsuitable plates. The problem is the saddle and clamp connectors are not screened or matched for 2GHz. Get a proper fully screened plate, such as one with 2 F couplers on it.

Reply to Socket Facia Interchangability in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net