Discuss Socket figure of 8 !!!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Alright folks doing condition report and I have a ring circuit which on the figure of 8 test I am getting 0.17 at the db and at half the sockets on the ring, when I get to the furthest out room on the ring my reading jumps to 0.39 at about 8 sockets any ideas why this would be ??

check if these sockets that give the high readings are additions. DIY dave strikes again.

could be that these 8 sockets are spurred off using a JB under the floor.

It's on the figure of 8 test between live and earth, done end to ends on the cables which all come out fine at 0.26 0.26 and 0.41 for earth. just checked nic testing book which does say these values will differ at different points I always thought they should be the same throughout. If it was a joint under the floor would the values not increase as I went from skt to skt tho ?? Gonna do zs at each of them and see what value that's giving me.

Could it be a ring on ring? Ie someone extended for additional sockets but wired a ring to a single jb,I've seen that before so the ring becomes more a figure of 8 than a 0

Have also seen a ring wired for a big house, every socket was taken from the ring as a spur, but both legs of the ring went into the jb, that's on EVERY socket, end to end readings were in the region of 0.02 in a 5 bedroom Victorian house! That confused me.

Alright folks doing condition report and I have a ring circuit which on the figure of 8 test I am getting 0.17 at the db and at half the sockets on the ring, when I get to the furthest out room on the ring my reading jumps to 0.39 at about 8 sockets any ideas why this would be ??

Your 0.17 is fine for your R1+R2 value based on your r1 and r2 readings, so the sockets giving you 0.17 are a ring.
The other eight sockets have double"ish" your R1+R2 value and they are consistent, sounds like a figure of eight, as this would double your reading at the farthest eight sockets, and you would expect consistent reading which you have. Your original r1, rn and r2 will be fine when you measure them, because you will measure the path of least resistance (the original ring).

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to Socket figure of 8 !!!! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net