Discuss Socket height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would say not as it's not a new external entrance.

Why not just ask your BC officer he'll tell you what he wants?

round my way they are friendly creatures who would rather be asked than have to tell.

Am I right in thinking a garage conversion attached to the house DOESN'T come under the 450 -1200mm height rule
I would agree with that, it is not a new build and just an adaption, I would think the 450 rule not applicable in this case, but then again whats the price of a quick land line call to your building control officer?

I thought any alterations to existing including new extensions etc didnt have to comly but socket and switch heights couldn't be any worse than what was already there.

I thought any alterations to existing including new extensions etc didnt have to comly but socket and switch heights couldn't be any worse than what was already there.

But if the alterations and extensions equate to more than a certain percentage of the old building , then I believe the hight's apply .
Well we have been made to comply with this when renovating old properties on the local estates that we look after .

Well we have been made to comply with this when renovating old properties on the local estates that we look after .

That will down to job spec. If Mrs Jones wants a extension or rewire etc doing then you can as i say use the old heights for sockets and switches.

So Mr Jones as the designer of his rewire s wants then 5ft tall would that be acceptable as its his house and theoretically he is the designer

yup......had this once with a customer. wanted the switches at 5ft. he said, and i quote. " i want to switch the lights on with my hands, not my cock".

Nope , it was building control .
When I say a certain percentage , it was like more than 65% or more of the original structure being changed .

I try to get the customers to have the sockets at least 2ft off the floor to make it easier for me to connect them up :) It will make it much easier for them to plug and unplug stuff when they get older :) One customer wanted sockets about 3ft so they did not have to bend down, I liked that customer.

as above. the 450mm rule is sensible for sockets. the 1200mm rule for light switches is stupid.

we switch all ours off if the pup is in. she has a taste for flexes. fried dog is not on the menu.

Reply to Socket height in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net