Discuss Socket heights in old house in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wee rover

Hi Guys,
Just new to this forum and wondering what the rule is with regard to the socket height in old houses. The sockets in question are fixed to the skirting board, (It's an old old house so the skirting boards are bigger than normal), the house was rewired about 30 years ago but the lad who inspected it has old me that everything is ok with the wiring and all the readings were well within scope. He also stated that the sockets do not need repositioned as it is not a new install.

Just looking for some confirmation on this

Thanks

He is correct, even if you were to rewire as it's an existing install then there is no need to have the sockets and switches at a given height. There is the need however, to pay attention to the heights as if they're too low it could stress a flex where it enters a plug top. If the property has a clean bill of health you have nothing to be concerned about

Would that include sockets in skirting boards

as long as there is enough space below so that the flexes in the plug tops don't get stressed, then it's OK. some scaremongers will say thy're a fire risk because they're fixed on wood, but i ignore them.

No mate, the height requirement only applys in new build. That said, a lot of social housing rewires have it written into the spec but if you get a rewire to do your client's wishes are the governing factor

The hight requirement can also affect non new build if more than a certain percentage of alterations to the fabric of the building have taken place , a prime example is if the external walls are internally studded then insulated .
There may be slightly more , than just this needed for it to count . But when ever we have rewired along side the builders on some of the estates we work with and they have done this , the architect specs us to compile with the new heights for this reason .

The height requirement in Part M is just a recommendation, in an attempt to standardise heights and positions.
Part M considers it important to maintain uniformity of heights and positions throughout the installation.
As such wherever an existing installation is extended, unless it is the intention to change the position of the existing accessories, Part M recommends the extended part of the installation conforms with the existing part.
When a new build, re-wire or extension is for a specific user, then the user's requirements take precedence over the recommendations in Part M.

i've just done a house and most of the sockets on the top 2 floors were on the skirting boards, so low that i coldn't get my plug top lead in when i was testing the ring, had to use a socket & see and put probes straight in! not written the cert up yet but i was gonna give it a code 3.
did they have different plugs "back in the old days" ??!

This "rule" has many exceptions, Listed buildings, care Homes, disabled access, schools, workshops, etc, etc, cable /plug top strain is the only consideration I can think of at the mo, but basically they go here the customer specifies within common sense, I mean floor sockets where do they go ?? obviously not at the door thresh, common sense and one eye on the regs
Pict

I think it came in for new builds to cover the big new estates where the developer hasn't got a clue as to who will be buying them once built.

Yep I bought a new hone once some years back went ot see it at the first fix stage to let them know where I wanted the sockets, pendants, switch drops etc jeez what a job I had, one track mind "but it says on the plans" and " I dont think the lads will be happy about" mind you I was talking to the chap in the white hard hat, once I got hold of the foreman spark it was a piece of cake " no prob" quick brew in the site hut, a red pen, a couple of jokes about 30 somethings just outa uni with more degrees than a protractor and it was sorted all electrical gubbins went into the corners where the Doris wanted them without extension leads and the kitchen stuff went where you can actually reach the plugs without the help of a 12 year old ukrainiane gymnast
Pict

Depending on the height above the flooring i would class it as
C3 Socket mounted in such a position as to result in potential damage to socket,plug or flex

well i don't know about anyone else but my local building control dont have the first idea about electrics, they know all about foundation , lintel bearings, block pillar specs, roof pitches, drain depths and routes, damp course layers, timber sizes, vapour barriers, insulation thickness etc as i see them all the time doing inspections on them, but when it comes to electrics they never seen them ask anything apart from "part p cert?"
i think if i asked them to sign off some notifiable work they would just say "get an approved part p spark in"

Reply to Socket heights in old house in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock