Discuss Socket in a bathroom closet? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Morning..

I have been asked to put a socket in a bathroom closet which has a door on it. Is there anything in the regs with regards this? The only similar situations that I can find show the wall seperating the area from the bath, but in my case there is a door as well, so the closet is completely enclosed.

From the diagram it's clear that it will not be 3m from the edge of the bath, but could it be seen as a seperate area/room?

A FCU will not be an option as I believe it is to charge a toothbrush. The shaver socket has no shelf so not an option, plus the customer wants the socket anyway.

Thanks all.

socket in closet.jpg

Last edited:
Looks ok to me?! Just looked in the on site guide, obviously doesn't mention your case specifically but seems ok?! Maybe wait for more answers though before you go ahead....

If you're not happy with a 13A socket, you could always fit another shaver socket in the closet - most electric toothbrushes have a shave style plug (the ones I've seen anyway). Daz

If you're not happy with a 13A socket, you could always fit another shaver socket in the closet - most electric toothbrushes have a shave style plug (the ones I've seen anyway). Daz
Agree with you on this, I would fit a shaver type unit rather than a socket, I have shown one in a link above this post, good advice there bud.

Agree with you on this, I would fit a shaver type unit rather than a socket, I have shown one in a link above this post, good advice there bud.
he's buggered when he wants to plug in the washing machine, though.

Or use a hairdryer, which can fall into a bath full of water and fry someone.:90:

Be just the right distance away for a bath edge mounted heater to take the chill off too.

Those are the sort of things that worry me!! Still if it meets the regs it must be safe :angel_smile:

I didn't consider the idea of just offering a shaver unit hidden away in there, so I'll do that, thanks DPG. I have a feeling it'll be a 'no', but I may question them a little further about what they want it for as well.

Morning..

I have been asked to put a socket in a bathroom closet which has a door on it. Is there anything in the regs with regards this? The only similar situations that I can find show the wall seperating the area from the bath, but in my case there is a door as well, so the closet is completely enclosed.
even if the regs allow it i personal
From the diagram it's clear that it will not be 3m from the edge of the bath, but could it be seen as a seperate area/room?

A FCU will not be an option as I believe it is to charge a toothbrush. The shaver socket has no shelf so not an option, plus the customer wants the socket anyway.

Thanks all.

View attachment 29461

there is no way i would install a plug in a bathroom closet,the socket will then be used for a hairdryer/stereo/heater and there is too much potential for disaster. The tenants in the house maybe do not realise the dangers of electricity in a bathroom but you as an electrician should know the dangers. Tell them you can put a self unit there but definitely not mains voltage.

Surely the installer cannot be held responsible for what the customer uses the socket for if its not against the regs. if its behind a door its out of the zone.

So where do you draw the line with that ? Being behind a door makes it not in the room so I could put a socket in the vanity cupboard under the basin ?
You could argue it's not actually in the bathroom because it's in a cupboard just as a prosecutor could argue that it is in fact in the bathroom and against regulations.

So where do you draw the line with that ? Being behind a door makes it not in the room so I could put a socket in the vanity cupboard under the basin ?
You could argue it's not actually in the bathroom because it's in a cupboard just as a prosecutor could argue that it is in fact in the bathroom and against regulations.

Thats very true. So which one is right? I think the fact we're discussing it and there are mixed views, shows that it is not a clear cut decision.

I guess I'm going to have to think a bit more about it as I believe it can be justified with the regs but perhaps not justified with common sense!

Thats very true. So which one is right? I think the fact we're discussing it and there are mixed views, shows that it is not a clear cut decision.

I guess I'm going to have to think a bit more about it as I believe it can be justified with the regs but perhaps not justified with common sense!

As ever, where you deem the regs to be ambiguous or open to interpretation then the call is yours to make drawing upon your experience, knowledge, and risk assessment of the situation. Whether your scheme, the IET, or anyone else deems the regs to be ambiguous is another matter.

You could say that it's not technically in the bathroom so it's technically not dangerous or against the regs. But people don't get technical electric shocks they get real ones.

These are however just my opinions.

Reply to Socket in a bathroom closet? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net