Discuss Socket in airing cupboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im currently doing a EICR report they have a socket in a airing cuoboard which used a to have a shower pump plugged now has the vacuum.charging. the distance from the bath is well within zone 2 but is in a seperate cupboard what C classification would you give this?

The cupboard is next to the bath its actually in zone 3 with the measurement.
So this is a no code even though it could be used to plug in say a hairdryer or something and be used in the bathroom?

If cupboard needed a tool to open then that's ok. But I'm not sure it's the same as putting it otherside of the bathroom door ?
With my tin hat on, I'd be tempted to C2 it as if the cupboard door was not there ... BTW, is there an RCD ?

No rcd but i am doing a EICR before i do a consumer change all circuirs have tested out fine this is the only issue ive come accross. I think I will disconnect and tell the customer its a no no

As per Murdoch, no code due to it being in a cupboard. Advise the client to have it changed for an RCD socket in case of bathroom appliances get plugged into it (hair dryers/shavers etc).

The extent of the special location is limited by the airing cupboard doors
With that in mind the socket location is fine

If on the other hand you were installing sockets and felt personally that you need to account for a idiot plugging an item in an airing cupboard or landing socket and hoovering their hair whilst playing in the Bath then advize accordingly :)

I haven't looked this up, am not disagreeing with the views given and not being near to a set of Regs where does it state zones do not include cupboards.

I haven't looked this up, am not disagreeing with the views given and not being near to a set of Regs where does it state zones do not include cupboards.
As far as I know the regs only state that no sockets shall be within 3m of the boundary of zone 1.
I know of no reg that exempts the inside of a cupboard from being part of the special location.

As far as I know the regs only state that no sockets shall be within 3m of the boundary of zone 1.
I know of no reg that exempts the inside of a cupboard from being part of the special location.
Yes I was thinking the 3m part but the cupboard rang no bells, so from this I would conclude there should be no socket there?

Yes I was thinking the 3m part but the cupboard rang no bells, so from this I would conclude there should be no socket there?

I would conclude this too. Can anyone who posted above who advised no code provide reasoning behind this ? Seems to be a commonly held view so there must be some basis in official guidance at least.

That's knackered my landing socket then. I'll have to remove it :)
I think you would have to think any socket in a house could be used to provide power in a bathroom but the 3m rule applies to within, a rather large bathroom.

Thought that would bring some consternation. A cupboard is still another room, even within a bathroom - there's some big cupboards out there. My ensuite has a socket just outside its door, i.e. within 3 metres. My ensuite is a cupboard (its a small ensuite!) to my bedroom.

Frankly I wouldn't put a socket anywhere in a bathroom, even if it was over 3 metres.

Thought that would bring some consternation. A cupboard is still another room, even within a bathroom - there's some big cupboards out there. My ensuite has a socket just outside its door, i.e. within 3 metres. My ensuite is a cupboard (its a small ensuite!) to my bedroom.

Frankly I wouldn't put a socket anywhere in a bathroom, even if it was over 3 metres.

A cupboard is another room ? What about the one with mirrored doors I keep my toothbrush in ? What about the vanity unit under my basin ?

A cupboard is another room ? What about the one with mirrored doors I keep my toothbrush in ? What about the vanity unit under my basin ?

I got a cupboard under my stairs, I can walk into that. Not sure you can walk into your vanity basin cupboard, unless your Peter Dinklage :)

I got a cupboard under my stairs, I can walk into that. Not sure you can walk into your vanity basin, unless your Peter Dinklage :)

So a cupboard is defined as another room if you can walk into it and therefore exempt from the rules of section 701 ? I can't recall seeing that bit in the regs.

I might put a socket in my bathroom and fit a cupboard big enough to enclose it and put a bar of soap in, exemption job done.

Reply to Socket in airing cupboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock