• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Socket live all the while in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi can someone shed some light on the above ? swapped out a single gang wall socket ( working perfect ) for single gang with usb, simple job wire up like for like. however the flick switch on the new usb socket which was working perfect for two days does now not cut the power and the socket is live all the while even when the flick switch is in the off position. I thought it was a faulty switch so took it back and got a replacement but the same has happened again....works fine for a couple of days then the flick switch part wont cut the power.....thanks in adavance

Is the power still live when you flick the switch or are you talking about the USB ports as they are normally permanently powered. Do you still have the old socket and what make are the new ones you bought?

Did you buy a LAP one out of screwfix by any chance? If so return and never buy again, cheap DIY rubbish
there again, just fitted 24 chrome accessories for a client. all LAP , client's request. 1 twin socket had a duff switch. other than that, no probs.

could be a bad batch. try getting it swapped for a schneider or click ( if click do the usb ones).

I think any company with the initials BG is probably best avoided! Saying that I have recently fitted a fair amount of the BG Nexus metal plate range, and they seem alright. The customer wanted to go with Lap at first, but I pointed them towards the numerous bad reviews saying that the switches give up the ghost after a couple of years. You pays your money and gets what you get!

One of my favourite face plates are the range of screw-visible low profile flat plates by Schneider. Around a tenner per socket, but good quality and look smart IMO.

Link:
schneider flat plate - Google pretraga - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=schneider+flat+plate&client=ms-android-google&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiDofq6t7XZAhVGDsAKHRvuABQQ_AUIEigC&biw=377&bih=542

Being available as they are these days with the grey inserts is very smart - I don't like flat plate old style but will have a look at these. Always good to know what's available.

I have found on standard BG double pole sockets that under a heavy load the switches have failed, normally failed by shorting but could just weld themselves together.
If the load you have normally connected is in the 2.5 - 3.0kW range and you are switching it off using the socket switch then this could be the cause.

You just did the post i was going to do! Love it :)

Being available as they are these days with the grey inserts is very smart - I don't like flat plate old style but will have a look at these. Always good to know what's available.

I have a good few of the white metal ones at home. They are like a 'posh' version of a standard placky white socket! Photo of them from side on for how they sit as it's not obviously shown on the Google images (ignore the breakfast cereal on the floor!):

Socket live all the while IMG_20180220_233657 - EletriciansForums.net

They have a nice foam gasket firmly attached to help seal them.

Reply to Socket live all the while in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back