Discuss Socket near sink, to blank or not to blank! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Think you may get away with it but id rather stay on the edge of better to be safe than sorry. Blank it, with some maintenance free connectors.
Nobody can plug something in to it, drop it in the sink and you would have to prove why you left it while being dragged through courts.
Ive had issues with tennants before they always seem to win. especialy when it comes to safety, when you could of made it safer! (with the council getting involved...umm...)

Annoy the tenant and put a smaller sink and drainer in without that small bowl. Reckon there's 300mm between the socket and the main bowl.

It's probably best to keep socket-outlets below 6,500 feet alright.

Funny you should mention this. I've had to redesign what VSDs I am using on a job in Albuquerque as the city is around 6000ft above sea level. (Higher than Ben Nevis anyway)

Many manufactures have de rating factors on components once you get over around 2000ft above sea level.

Not that this is ever really applicable in the UK.

I have a toaster from a major manufacturer which has a lead on it of 90cm. So if the socket was over 300mm away from the sink say 400mm, would this make it any safer? #justsaying!

Oldish thread I know.
Going by the electricians guide to the building regs - what with the adjacent hob, you're never going to get a socket on that wall.
I generally stick to the 300mm guidance for hobs and sinks, but in this instance as per the image, there's not a lot else could be done. A kitchen needs to be functional and practical.

blank it or turn sink through 90 degrees so it's under window. benefit of more worktop space FOC, :):):)

My issue with this is that the guides states that no socket shall be installed above an electric or gas hob yet there is no mention of above a sink. Obviously no one designing an install would put a socket above either but what if a socket was over 300mm above the sink. Technically it would then be 300mm away from the sink edge. I realise the diagram show adjacent to, but I'm just imagining the scenario being played out in a court of law with some fancy lawyer picking up on the lack of defined detail.

A mate of mine with a rental property had a tenant who called him out 3 times because the lamp in out outside light failed. On the first two occasions he explained that lamp breakage was the tenants responsibility... on the the 3rd occasion he just took the light off. No more call outs.

Remove all 'Safety Socket Covers' from every socket. Check to see that they haven't damaged the sockets.
Lots of organisations have banned these, as they can be dangerous.

I honestly don't get why these aren't just banned outright, complete legislative ban i.e. criminal to supply or use. They're a PITFA, I get the argument for them but the sockets should be intrinsically safe as per standard.

Reply to Socket near sink, to blank or not to blank! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock