Discuss socket outlet in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kduck

Been to a customers house today she wants a TV putting on her bedroom wall so she will need a socket point behind the TV. Customer does not want carpets lifting or holes in the walls, the wall with the TV on is ok as its stud and I can get to it from the loft to put the power in there. So the question is can you use a fused spur off the lighting circuit for the TV, the TV has a transformer down to 12v.

I cant see a problem with putting a switched fused spur in, just check the circuit can take any additional load and is up to spec. (issue a minor works with your invoice)

Ash

Hi.

I would say not as you know it wont just be the T.V, she'll want her DVD player, freeview box etc etc.

It's off of the ring or nothing for me.

Hi.

I would say not as you know it wont just be the T.V, she'll want her DVD player, freeview box etc etc.

It's off of the ring or nothing for me.

I know what you mean regarding the eventuall extras she would want, but with the original spur just for the tv and certificated he is covered.
I have had jobs like this in the past ie for projectors etc and when i provided a written quote i also included a letter stating how i would rather do it and that the customer wanted it a different way and if they did not sign it the work did not get done (by me anyway!)
I am a spark that believes appliances should never go on a lighting circuit and i (probably by my attitude and dismay) get that across to the customer and if they are still addiment 'out comes the letter for them to sign'

What about making the socket for the telley one of those small round pin lighting ones so she cant plug hoover etc in? just a thought if you absoutley have to use lighting supply.

I agree with lenny on this one, as i wouldnt personally do it with the assumption the front end mcb fitted is a 6 amp type b it would be prone to nuisance tripping with the inrush on the t.v. transformer which no-one seems to have thought about and upgrading the mcb to a type d would require a check to see the earth loop is still within permitted values, so its a dont do it, tell the customer surface mount or theirs a chance the decor will suffer and let them make the choice.

You should never install a socket behind a wall mounted TV it should always be an outlet plate from an accessible switched fused spur ideally off the ring.

I hate it when sparks put double sockets half way up the wall for a TV it causes major issues and is potentially unsafe!

Its unsafe because sometimes they are inaccessible.

However, if i put them behind the tv i mount them higher up so that they can be reached from above the TV.

thats actually A valid point ave never thought of before, must confess to have fitted the odd socket behind a television, dunno if i would go as far to say its unsafe though how hard is it to take a television off the wall

I've fitted sockets behind wall mounted TVs, the end of the day the customers we've had don't want an exposed

socket with leads trailing, and i agree i wouldn't want it either. If you think about it there no less accessable than ones

mounted at normal height, you'll still have to move the TV/dvd/stand etc to get to it. Can't see the danger myself.

Interesting point made here regarding sockets behind televisions. I'd agree with the comments that relate to having the sockets ( or flex outlet switched spur ) above the television to allow access to them for reasons of electrical testing and ease of connection and disconnection.

I'd also agree not to wire the tv socket to the lighting circuit.

I've fitted sockets behind wall mounted TVs, the end of the day the customers we've had don't want an exposed

socket with leads trailing, and i agree i wouldn't want it either. If you think about it there no less accessable than ones

mounted at normal height, you'll still have to move the TV/dvd/stand etc to get to it. Can't see the danger myself.

The BS 7671:2008 informs us that a standard BS1363-2 13A s/o can be installed as a means of isolation for maintenace/emergency isolation etc, if you can not readily gain access to it, then it fall to meet that function, also what about testing etc, as previously stated by other sometimes it a night mare trying to move large TV etc, I normal mount then just above set, but sufficiently low that when sitting watching TV, they are not in view.

Never off a lighting circuit, ring or radial only

The BS 7671:2008 informs us that a standard BS1363-2 13A s/o can be installed as a means of isolation for maintenace/emergency isolation etc, if you can not readily gain access to it, then it fall to meet that function, also what about testing etc, as previously stated by other sometimes it a night mare trying to move large TV etc, I normal mount then just above set, but sufficiently low that when sitting watching TV, they are not in view.

Never off a lighting circuit, ring or radial only

We mount the spur below TV at normal socket height a wall mounted plasma or LCD ona metal bracket is a potetnial danger if the mains supply switch is covered by the TV clients dont want to see cables so a discrete isolater that is accesible (i dont count above TV but out of sight as accesible If the TV starts smoking/fire!!!!)

Stand mounted TV are different but installed units need to be isolated (think about lifting the TV onto bracket are you to lift a live appliance onto bracket? what happens if you pinch the power lead between the TV and bracket and it cuts the live while your holding it!

Might be worst case but thats what you have to consider! Its so obvious and so many sparks (no offence guys) claim to be able to do what i do yet cock the electrical bit up without going into detail of how the rest can get cocked up!

Hope this you guys out from now on.

PS never off a lighting circuit!

;););)

We mount the spur below TV at normal socket height a wall mounted plasma or LCD ona metal bracket is a potetnial danger if the mains supply switch is covered by the TV clients dont want to see cables so a discrete isolater that is accesible (i dont count above TV but out of sight as accesible If the TV starts smoking/fire!!!!)

Stand mounted TV are different but installed units need to be isolated (think about lifting the TV onto bracket are you to lift a live appliance onto bracket? what happens if you pinch the power lead between the TV and bracket and it cuts the live while your holding it!

Might be worst case but thats what you have to consider! Its so obvious and so many sparks (no offence guys) claim to be able to do what i do yet cock the electrical bit up without going into detail of how the rest can get cocked up!

Hope this you guys out from now on.

PS never off a lighting circuit!

;););)
A couple of good points to go on my learning curve.

Reply to socket outlet in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net