Discuss Socket positions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gra426

Hi,

I have a question about socket positions that hopefully somebody could clear up for me. I am planning a kitchen rewire and looking at suitable accessory positions. I am aware that in most instances sockets are positioned a minimum of 300mm from the corner of the room. However I have something in my head that this reg is associated to habited rooms and kitchens may be exempt.

If anyone could clear it up for me it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gra.

dunno where you got that from. 300mm from sink and hob is a recommendation.

I've got a feeling (don't know where from) that the 300 mm is a recommedation, so that you're not tempted to put a back box in the safe zone, in the corner of a room!

Yeah that's what I thought Murdoch. However if it's just a recommendation I might try to nick 50 mm just to tidy things up, but naturally will avoid the permitted zones.

I've got a feeling (don't know where from) that the 300 mm is a recommedation, so that you're not tempted to put a back box in the safe zone, in the corner of a room!
so what about when you do a drop to a FCU then down to an appliance socket?. that's accessories in a safe zone.

i include the drainer as otherwise numpty, lazy housewife will then put kettle on drainer.

It includes the drainer - 300mm from the sink or drainer.
There's a minimum height from the work surfaces as well - 150mm off the top of my head.

What I meant was if you are adding sockets into a room you should avoid the corners as these are deemed safe zones and another sparky could have run cables there.

I wasn't ignoring the "safe" zone created by an accessory!

Does this help?

know what you mean, murdoch, but as professional electricians, we should be aware that there may be cables there. that is unless we are part p kitchen fitters!

The top 150mm of the room is also a safe zone; if we weren't allowed to run cables through safe zones that would make running switch drops a little tricky.

think the concern is more about some hairy-arsed spark with a sds chisel chopping out for a back box where cables might be lurking.

I think it's the same kind of argument - someone may have thought it was a good idea to run a cable around the top of the room because 'it's a safe zone so that means it's fine'.

Reply to Socket positions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net